Crash // Lilo

"Wait, where you say you've been 

Who you been with 

Where you say you're going

Who you going with?"

Louis is almost positive he was in love with Liam the first time they met.

Liam was so naive and completely out of his limit, from the braces that covered his teeth, to his dorky concerns involving Louis and -"Are you sure you're having a good time, I know this party is a bit lame?"- Louis loved it, scratch that, he still loves it.

The entire night consists of Liam watching Louis carefully as he socializes with other people and it feels so utterly good to be wanted, Louis thinks. Part of him wishes that Liam would just man up and come over and kiss him already. Drunk or not. But the wait makes it all the more better. 

Liam eventually decides to stop hovering from a far and walks up to Louis, who is moving his hips to the music ever so slightly. Louis smiles down at the ground before looking up at Liam. His hair is particularly curly at the moment, brushing over his forehead. If he looks up, Louis is almost positive that his eyelashes will brush against the tiny curls.

"Hi." Louis mumbles, gripping the hem of Liam's flannel. "Hi." Liam mumbles back, swallowing thickly. Louis leans in, throwing his arms around Liam's shoulders, staring down at his pink and rather plump lips, giving him the sign that Louis really wants Liam to kiss him. But Liam just doesn't quite understand that, looking back at Louis questioningly.

It's then that Louis thinks, yeah, I really need to keep this one. Everything about Liam is innocent and Louis can't help but want to be his entire world, as devious as that sounds.

Liam just smiles that dorky smile that makes Louis weak at the knees for him, even shows his teeth that Louis has known is one of his insecurities. They are both here together and it's so close to midnight that everyone around them starts the count down at twenty, eager for the next year to begin. University isn't all that they want it to be and Louis has got an essay due in just three short days that determines if he even gets to stay at Manchester, but for now, things seem so simple. Louis likes Liam and he likes him back so that's truly all that matters.

"Kiss me at midnight Liam." Louis says quietly, the crowd is now down to five and Liam nods his head, licking his lips in anticipation as everyone celebrates the coming of the new year.  

It's 1996 and Louis kisses Liam for the first time in his life. It works the first time around.

-

Liam shivers, pulling his duvet closer. It's so quiet that it makes his head hurt, so he lays in bed longer. He isn't sure what upsets him more, the fact that months ago this eerily quiet moment would have been refreshing or that now, he can no longer enjoy it. Liam turns his head, looking at the pillow next to him. There is colored hair and a shoulder peeking out of the sheets. 

It's a girl with soft skin and pink cheeks, plump lips and gray eyes that make you forget things when you look at them for a while. 

"Sophia." Liam mumbles, waiting for her to turn over and look at him like she usually does each morning. "Soph-" "Go back to sleep Liam, m'not in the mood to hear about your dream." 

Liam turns back over, pressing his lips together as he listens to the silence. He can't hear another person breathing like he should but that doesn't bother him as much as knowing that the heart that beats next to his isn't the one that he wants.

It happens to be 2001.

-

"Lou, I just had the weirdest dream." Liam whispers into the dark, a loud snore can be heard throughout their bedroom. "Hmh, what? Dream you said?" Louis clears his throat, turning over and rubbing his eyes sleepily as he tries to open them.