Chapter 2

-

Nang bumalik ako sa ER, marami na agad pasyente. The guardians are begging our nurses and doctors to heal their love ones first. In this life, not all the people are having a wealthy living, some of the citizens of this country needs to work hard to earn money for their family, some are born having a gold spoon on their mouth.

I checked every patients, their vitals, their MRI, CT-scan, X-ray and even had a small talk with them nang makita ko ang isang babae na umiiyak habang hawak-hawak ang kamay ng lalaki na nakahiga sa hospital bed. I guess that the woman is around her 40s while the patient is at his mid 20s. I went near them. The patient is unconscious. Nang makalapit ako ay rinig na rinig ko ang hikbi ng babae, a mother, I guess.

Nilapitan ako ni Nurse Fe. "Magkakaroon dapat po ng operation sa pasyente na yan doc and that surgeon supposed to be is Dr. Santos but the operation was turned down dahil wala pong pambayad ang mama ng pasyente", she informed me. My brow furrowed. Ano naman kung walang pambayad? Its not about money, its about the responsibility for the patient.

I checked the vitals of the patient and it is unstable. "The patient supposed to have a laparoscopic cholecystectomic, doc", she said. This not a joke! "There's a stone in a gallbladder of the patient", she added. Fuck! How dare Dr. Santos turned down the operation! Dahil walang pera? A dambass!

"I'll be the in charge. Prepare the OR now", I said and halata kay Nurse Fe ang gulat. "What? Move now", I ordered. Hinarap ko ang guardian ng pasyente na nakatingin na ngayon sa akin. I smiled at her then reach her hands. "Ooperahan ko po ang anak niyo", sabi ko sa kaniya. I saw how happy she is nang sabihin ko 'yon pero agad din siyang napaluha at yumuko.

"W-wala po k-kaming pambayad, doc. B-bigyan niyo na lang po ng gamot ang anak ko", she begged. I shook my head and gave her a genuine smile.

"Wag niyo po problemahin ang pera. Your son needs to have an operation now", at niyakap siya. Serving people is not all about money you will earn from them, if you are willing to help, give it wholeheartedly and do not expect something in return. For me, that's the right one.

On my way sa OR, nakita ko pa si Dr. Santos na nakikipagtawanan sa mga nurses. Paano niya nakukuhang tumawa kung may ginawa siyang hindi makatao? Ang sarap niya murahin. Nang makita niya ako, he bid a farewell to the nurses and went near me. He has a guts to smile, huh.

"You'll be having an operation?", he asked. I smirked at him. "Woah. Did I do something wrong, Dr. Colonel?", what a stupid question from him.

Halata sa mukha ko ang pagkairita sa kaniya. "I'll have an operation, the one you turned down, Dr. Santos", I sarcastically said and headed to the OR. I shouldn't waste my time having a stupid and nonsense talk with him. Doktor siya niyan ah?

Before I enter the OR, I washed my hands. Dr. Ramos will be my assistant again tutal on duty pa rin siya tulad ko. I went in then they gave me my surgical gown and put surgical gloves on my both hands. I scanned the people around.

"He's now under in anesthesia", Dr. Mariano informed. "You can start now, doc", he said. Nilapitan ko na ang pasyente.

"Scalpel", I did a small cut on his abdomen. I need to remove the stone in his gallbladder before it will have further infections to his body. "Laparoscopic trocar", Dr. Ramos gave me the trocar. I watched thoroughly. After many minutes, I successfully removed the stone in it. I looked at the timer and it is 59 minutes and 49 seconds. Nilagay ko ang nakuha ko sa silver rectangular plate. I looked at everybody and they nod to me.