Chapter 9

Emma was quiet when Garrett's mother lead her to her chamber. She'd found it strange when the Lady had insisted on doing so herself but Emma supposed that she was very informal, just like her son. After being a part of the ton for the last seven years, this informality was refreshing indeed, she thought happily.

"I hope you like this chamber, my dear. It is my eldest daughter-Janet's," Lady Beresford said as she opened the door to the chamber.

Like it? Emma was awestruck. It wasn't the size or the expensive décor that surprised her—she'd seen enough of that, but it was the immediate warmth. The chamber had been done in the light tones of green and beige with vibrant curtains. There were several miniatures placed on the mantle piece and decorative candles. There was a small study table as well. Emma walked towards the window and couldn't contain the sigh of pleasure at the breathtaking view. It was gorgeous.

"I take it you liked it?" Lady Beresford asked from behind her.

"It is lovely," Emma nodded.

"Please sit, Emma. I wish to discuss a few things with you." She shut the door.

Emma began to panic immediately. She forced a pleasant smile and sat on the queen-sized four-poster bed. Lady Beresford sat on a chair across from her.

"I know that you and Garrett are up to something. You do not love my son, I can see it," she said without preamble.

Emma was at a loss of what to say. Garrett's mother thought she did not have feelings for her son while Emma had been worried that she was wearing her emotions on her sleeve for all and sundry to see. She supposed she should feel happy that she was a little more hard to read, but all she felt was dread.  Garrett's mother was supposed to be sweet and pliable, not a fire-breathing dragon.

"Now I don't know why Garrett would countenance such a thing. While lust and infatuation can cloud any man's judgement, my son is too calculative to fall for such things. He wouldn't marry a respectable woman for those reasons. I would have guessed that all you seek of this marriage is a title, but you already have a hefty one. You are also well-endowed in the pockets, I believe. So the only plausible explanation is that you and my son are up to no good, playing us like a harp for your amusement."

"Or we could actually be in love with each other and you simply do not want to see it," Emma replied tartly. She was annoyed that Lady Beresford had read through them so easily...the only saving grace was that she did not know anything about their work.

"Can you honesty look at me in the eye and claim you love each other?" she snapped.

She did not want to do it. While Garrett made her feel things she had never felt before, she blamed her inexperience for it. She could hardly have fallen in love with him in such a short span of time, most of which she had spent hating him. And she was certain he did not love her. But Lady Beresford seemed like a formidable opponent, one Emma did not have the luxury of indulging in a battle with. The sooner the woman sided with her, the better. Emma didn't want to lie outright, so she tried to be as honest as she could.

"While Lord Beresford and I are not in love yet—it is widely known that our courtship was desired by the Queen, after all—I am certain that in time we shall begin to love each other," she said steadily.

"Very well, then," Lady Beresford said and stood up. "I had expected honestly from you."

"I was honest."

Lady Beresford held up her hand. "I welcomed you in my home and you will enjoy the respect and comfort given to any guest. But I will keep an eye on you and Garrett, my dear. Nothing unpleasant shall ever touch my children...not if I can help it." And with that statement, she left the chamber.

Emma had not known that a mere conversation could exhaust a person so until she fell asleep and was woken up by Gloria only in time for supper.

Dinner was an amazing feast fit for their monarch herself. Garrett confided that they ate this way most of the time and Emma had expressed her surprise at the lack of its evidence in his middle. He had laughed and Emma had luxuriated in it until she realised she shouldn't. She knew this was only a façade, but when she looked at his deep blue eyes or his wide smile, it was easy to forget. She had grown especially fond of that little cleft in his chin, she thought wistfully.

All through dinner she had debated internally about telling Garrett about her conversation with his mother. For her part, Lady Beresford had been pleasant if not overly warm. She didn't know if Garrett would even believe her. But they were partners and it seemed exceedingly idiotic to hide something like this from him.

Decision made, she approached him when the family was seated in the living room, chatting.

"I was wondering if we could go for a stroll about the gardens. I can see them from my chamber and I really want to—"

"Of course, my darling," Garrett smiled at her in  a way that she thought might melt her insides.

His brother snickered while his sisters were giggling as Garrett led her out.

"I trust you've settled in well?" he asked as soon as they were alone.

"Yes, you have a lovely home."

Garrett just smiled. "Did you really want to see my gardens or is something bothering you?"

Emma rolled her eyes at the silly question and he saw it, judging from his smile.

"Your mother knows that we aren't in love."

"Of course, she does," he replied, unfazed.

"She confronted me! Asked me what we were up to," Emma growled. Why must he be so casual about everything?

"Was she rude to you?" he asked, finally seeming to take this seriously.

"She wasn't rude, but she wasn't exactly polite. And why should she be?"

"I knew Mother would figure this was all a sham," Garrett sighed.

"Should we tell her?" Emma asked hopefully.

"No!"

"Then what do you propose we do?" Emma asked, a little distracted by all the pretty flowers around them. It really was a beautiful garden...it reminded her of the one in Goodwood manor.

"Convince her, of course," Garrett replied, sounding equally distracted.

"And how do you propose we do that?" she asked, looking at him.

"Well, we can start with this," he mumbled before pulling her to him and kissing her.