unexpected (f/p)

In which a visit to the doctor brings some unexpected news - wc: 1,200+

Harry had proposed almost 4 months ago, but you both decided to not rush into the wedding planning quite yet. With his upcoming tour, things were a bit hectic, and you were more than happy to wait a bit longer if it meant having the perfect wedding. However, it seemed fate was going to throw a wrench in your plans.

For the past 2 weeks, you had been feeling ill. Not alarmingly ill, but ill enough that it was noticeable to you how under the weather you were feeling. And Harry had noticed it too.

"Love, you've slept in almost every day this week, are you sure you're feeling alright?" Harry was kneeling by your side of the bed, brushing strands of hair out of your eyes. It was almost 10am, and you still hadn't gotten up. After living with Harry for so long, you adapted to his early morning habits and were typically awake by 7.

"I just haven't been feeling good lately," you shrugged it off, wiping a bead of sweat off your forehead. Why is it so hot in here?

Truth be told, you had been waking up in the middle of the night around 2am with the urge to puke. And so you did, quietly, in the bathroom down the hall as to not wake Harry.

"Do you think you should go to the doctor?" he suggested.

You nodded reluctantly, "Maybe, this has been going on a while."

He handed you your phone off the bedside table. You quickly found your regular doctor's number and called, seeing if she had any availability that day.

Luckily, she had an appointment at 11:30, and soon Harry was pulling you out of bed to shower and get dressed.

You had to go alone, unfortunately. Harry had a meeting at 11 to discuss details of the tour, although he offered to cancel his meeting to go with you.

"It's probably just a bug, no need to cancel your meetings for me," you hushed his protests.

"Okay, but as soon as you know what is going on I want you to call me so I know you're okay," he said sternly.

You kissed his cheek softly, easing his worries, "I promise."

At the doctor's, you explained your new, yet constant, symptoms of nausea, throwing up at night, sleeping in, feeling hot, and an all over aching feeling in your body.

"You're still sexually active?" she asked.

You nodded, blushing like a teenage girl does when they are asked this for the first time.

"And, how many sexual partners have you had in the last month?"

"Just one, my fiancé." Last time you saw her, Harry was just your boyfriend.

"Congrats on the engagement! Let's see, what birth control have I got you on?" she scanned over your medical records on the tablet in front of her. "Alright, the IUD. How long ago did you get that in?"

"Mm, must've been 4 or 5 years ago."

"Well, they are only effective for up to 5 years, so it's kinda crucial we narrow that down."

She continued reading through the records, "Ah, says here you got it placed almost 5 years ago on the dot."

"Does that mean it's ineffective?"

She hesitated, "It's hard to tell with them, it varies person to person. It's likely either already ineffective or is on the slope to becoming so, either way you would need to get that changed out. Have you been using condoms as well?"