Path of Birds

The blood drained from my hands into the sink as I wished it could all be over. I had been so relieved when my careful investigation led to the culprit, that Cody, but now his screams echoed in my head. I could still smell the fear, but my eye's memory only produced blindness. I had always been warned against my temper.

My only thought at the time—my only excuse for all the things I've done—had been the stolen Mofta. It was gold and circular, with a single emerald set in the middle. The whole thing was the size of a fingernail, but its power was unfathomable. In the hands of the right person, one particular person, the Mofta was the key to unlocking the ability of flight for my people, lost long ago. As the director of the Institute, I was responsible for the artifacts stored there, including this priceless Mofta. I shut my eyes as if that would block out the memory of learning of its absence.

As I dried my hands, I checked the clock and knew I had to hurry to the meeting place with my boss. If asked, of course, I would say: our servant Cody has gone missing. Cody has just gone missing. I can't imagine that he would be dead. I locked my office and left the building.

My boss, the mayor, loved to meet in parks. Something about waiting there for him and taking in the view made me wish he didn't. It was too calm, too beautiful, too quiet. Green leaves swayed back and forth as if I was nothing that mattered. Innocent bunnies nibbled at grass, and innocent birds chirped far too peacefully. But were they truly innocent? Birds kill too.

Then a train screamed. I jumped in my bench seat, my teeth buzzing, and my hand jerked to my ear as the screeching sound shattered my solitude. Now, for the first time, the mud colored statue in front of me was noticeable. Tangled lines, like human limbs, seemed to writhe on the ground. Bright red flowers sprouted around it, but no aroma reached my nose. The park suddenly appeared crowded, with each bench occupied. I didn't want them to look at me. I checked my hands: normal. I adjusted my shirt, so I was presentable. Looking for my very late boss, I headed toward the river, which now glowed crimson in the sunset.

My boss finally called my phone to say, "Brendon, there's some more pressing matters for me to see to. We'll talk later."

Standing at the riverside, the water looked so perfect, and I could feel its magnetic pull. I started to step closer but stopped myself. It was then that my brain connected two dots: the Mofta had been guarded by a sphynx-like creature, who would only let animal whisperers such as myself pass through, and the only other known animal whisperer nearby was a young researcher living at the Institute, Mandy. She'd never seemed like a criminal to me, but there was no way Cody could have obtained the Mofta without her. I would unfortunately have to confront her. I trudged back.

...

"Sir?"

I was sitting at my desk, hands holding my head, and I opened my eyes. "Come in. Take a seat." Her blonde hair was more disheveled than I expected, and her makeup didn't look as perfect as it usually did when I would pass her in the halls. She'd only been in my office once before, when she first arrived a couple years ago, and we'd discussed our shared ability to communicate with animals. Now, I couldn't even remember what she researched here.

"Um, I'm sorry, sir. Does this have something to do with jumping—"

"What?" I jerked in my seat. Does she know something about me?

"I mean, with jumping into that mess... Am I here because of the Cody thing?"

"Ah, yes. That. Yes." Deep breaths, I reminded myself, in, and out. I twisted my fingers around, then rubbed my temples. "Mandy, I know you helped Cody steal the Mofta. I have to say, I wouldn't have expected you to do such a thing."