Chapter 12 ~ 2 in 1

*tw mentions of abuse*

The world stopped. 

Everything stopped. I couldn't speak, and soon it felt as if I couldn't breathe. I was brought back into reality when I feel Christian's hand on mine. I take in deep breaths and allow Clarence to continue. 

"Jaden is my brother, well half-brother." He says very slowly. "When my father died, our mother decided to throw us out together. " He stops and takes in a deep breath. "The night when it happened..... I was there...." At this I look up. I don't know if I'm sad or angry. Why didn't he stop him, then? Why did he just let it happen? I felt my blood boiling and as I started to lash out at him I feel both of Christian's hands now on my shoulders.

"Lyla, Bebe, calm down and he will explain." I only now realized the tears running down my cheeks from how overwhelmed I am. Clarence clears his throat to begin again. 

"I tried, I promise you I am telling the truth. I wanted to stop him and I tried my best but his knots are strong." I furrow my eyebrows in question. He takes note of this and nods his head briefly before continuing. "I upset him earlier that day, and when he gets really upset and drunk he tends to do things like that. I heard your screams, I was at the front door. But with his tight knots and ropes, by the time I escaped he was already back inside and bleeding." I remember the glass bottle and I see a small smirk on Clarence's face. 

"Anyways," he continues, "I escaped the house and ran to a buddy's home, and the next day I came back to hear him and Christian quarrelling and I knew I just had to intervene. And, now here we are." He ends his explanation picking at his mint-chip ice cream cup. 

I didn't have any words. It was just like Saturday, when Christian was telling me about this. And now being filled with the rest of the story, its too much for me to handle. I close my eyes to stop the tears from coming. When I knew I was ready I opened them again and looked straight into his Clarence's eyes.

"Thank you. So much. You barely even know me and you did something so big for me." I put my hand over his. "And I'm sorry for what you've been through, you don't deserve any of that." He simply nods his head. I turn my head and see Christian smiling at me with his arms wrapped around his knees. 

"Thank you both, for doing that for me. You guys are... really amazing." Christian's smile widens and he blows a kiss at me, making me blush slightly. Clarence gives me a toothy smile and I pull them both in for a hug.

We've all finished our ice cream and went out to go for a walk in the nearby park. Christian's arm swung around me while him and Clarence were at war at who was the worst Marvel Character. Once they decided that there was no worst Marvel character, we all started having our own arguments with one another over fictional characters. The mood difference from the ice cream parlor to now even shocked me. I was happy, we were laughing, we were all just having a great time with one another. After the two boys started getting heated up in their silly argument, I decided to break off from them and walk closer to the lake. 

Once I start walking away from them, I hear their laughter making me smile at their newfound friendship and a wolf whistle. I turn my head to see who made the sound. I see a guy, about our age, giving me a smirk. My adrenaline from before was still rushing through me, I didn't even have a chance to be scared. I furrow my eyebrows at the dude and I see my new friend in his brown hoodie make his way in front of me with his head high and formed fists. I felt Christian's arm snake behind my waist and his hand squeezing my side reassuringly. My heavy breathing calmed down, and I felt a smile creeping on my face at Clarence's reaction. He turns around to face me with a small smirk as well and I link my arms with the two boys. 

Christian, a boy I've known for half my life. 

And Clarence, a boy I had just met today, but I already know I'm up for an adventure with him.