18: Visiting Order

[a/n]: at this point, we're just going to all pretend that i know what is even happening when it comes to my writing style. this is the shortest chapter i've wrote in a long time and bleh 

18: Visiting Order

“He's noticed that you've been avoiding him.” Skylar tells me, in faux anger, piling jelly babies onto his frozen yoghurt. He insists that although talking to me has the potential to put him in a precarious position where Charlie is involved, he's not too bothered because I'm his friend, first and foremost. I reckon that he hasn't wholly forgiven Charlie for what transpired at the dance-a-thon. I view Skylar to be terrifically loyal, and I've noticed he's allowed that same trait to take advantage of himself. He is probably the most dangerous thing he's ever encountered.

I wouldn't think it though, looking at him going crazy in the frozen yoghurt store. Looking like a small, over excited child at the endless possibilities of toppings to have. I keep close to his side, for some little kid is having their birthday party here, streamers of Happy Birthday decorating the interior; along with party decorations and small kids littering the place. It didn't put Skylar off in the slightest, as he'd been even more determined to get the thing he'd dragged me here for in the first place.

“Has he?” I reply innocently, watching him pay for the concoction he probably won't eat all of, growing sick half way through. I've never been much of a fan of sweet foods, and this is why Skylar insists we're going somewhere that I will like, too. “I've just been kinda busy lately.” Not a complete lie. As it happens, successfully avoiding my brother, his best friend, and my ex-boyfriend is enough for me to eliminate a lot of areas available for me to go to. I haven't done anything crazy as draw a map up, but Skylar understands that the only places that I can go with successfully having another day of dropping under the radar on my belt, are downtown. Or more specifically, Dean's block.

Skylar doesn't get the whole picture of why we aren't talking right now, and I'm grateful he hasn't been pushing for an answer either. Though I'm sure Charlie has bitched enough for him to know enough to form an opinion. To Skylar's credit, he's the only one of his group of three whom I can even tolerate looking in the eye right now, which is saying something.

“Really?” He raises his eyebrows at this, forcing me to sit down at a table. I had been under the impression we'd leave and he'd eat, but now it seems I have to endure the incessant sounds of children's screaming for much longer, now. “This has nothing to do with going to Idris' party last night? Saw it on Facebook this morning.”

I facepalm at two things now; one being my naivety in genuinely believing that I could have gone to a party last night with no one but Caggie knowing I was there, and two, that Skylar definitely isn't the only one to have found out, if I'm assuming correctly. “He probably hates me right now,” I groan, head in my hands and fingers curling around strands of hair. I don't miss the long length, I find that it just brushing my shoulders suits me much more now.

He mistakes me for talking about Charlie, when Skylar says, “You'd probably have to kill someone before he hated you.” Kill someone. Hated You. Kill someone. I'm still trying to figure out if refusing to read the diary had been a good move of mine, but I don't know if I can do so without becoming biased. I know that the bitch has mentioned me in her twisted memoirs, found out a private secret that we'd promised would stay just that until things became settled. I hate that she was so invasive in a life that isn't hers, and I had no idea she was interested in. I hate that she's dependent on me, of all the people she could have blackmailed beyond the grave, to do some great thing for her when she did nothing for me. I may be a lot of things, but I'm not some kind of hero able to do selfless things on a whim. It's a simple case of morality by choosing to read Devin's diary, it's something else entirely if I want to take on the justice system with no help other than Charlie.