v. banishment

"Aejeong," Yoongi said one night. "I love you." She looks at him from the sink, where she was washing bugs from a handful of hyacinth stems. The sink squeaks off.

"What?"

"I've never felt this way towards any person," he confessed. "I could never imagine this feeling, the one everyone spoke of so fondly. I detested the thought of it. But here I am, only to share it with the one being I never thought I would be able to. A human." His wings itch beneath his skin, desperate to meet the air again, for it had been weeks since he had flown.

She set down her flowers to dry on a rack. "Yoongi," she whispered softly, approaching him with caution. "What do you mean? Surely you've said this to every girl you've ever... thought you were in love with."

He shook his head, springing forward to clutch her hands to his chest. "I swear, you are the first in my entire time of existence. I have never felt this for anything or anyone ever. You are the first to have swayed me."

Aejeong tore her hands away from him, backing away. "I don't understand," she stuttered. "Yoongi, what are you saying?"

"My love, I am an angel."

The hurt was high in her voice. She stared at him with a mixture of fear, doubt, and unwariness. "You're out of your mind, Yoongi. You need to sit down," she said tenderly. But something was wrong in her body language.

He flinched, realizing that she was leaning away from him. He didn't understand. What was he doing wrong?

"I'm not. Please, believe me." He stepped towards her but she darts away, hand already on her phone. "Wait, don't call anyone. I can show you. You have to believe me."

And because she did love him, she listened. 

Yoongi dropped onto his knees and arched his back, willing his wings to sprout.

He winced at the discomfort of bones unfurling from beneath his skin, feathers and muscle tearing through his flesh and intertwining with each bone. It had been so long since he felt so free, so light. When he stood, his wings, the same shimmering blonde as his hair, extended to the ground.

Yoongi knew that he spent too much energy willing his wings that fast after so long. It had been weeks since he last had ambrosia. He shared meals with Aejeong but human food did nothing but affect his senses. It carried no real nutrition to aid him. Sooner or later, his body would give out.

Aejeong watched, fear evident across her features. "You were telling the truth," she said sadly. It almost looked as if she would prefer if he lied.

"I would never lie to you, my love."

She carefully stepped forward, touching his wings with gentle fingers. "Angels exist?" She carded her fingers through his feathers slowly, as if she feared she could hurt him.

"There are many of us."

It took a while for her to respond. "Are you my guardian angel?"

He laughed tiredly. "No, there are no guardian angels. I was sent to be a catalyst in your relationship with Park Hanbyul. But you charmed me. I fell for you instead."