Part 5- Before You Exit

I begin to walk away, but can’t help but turn back around to say thanks again, but he started to walk in the other direction to find an empty table. He held his food in one hand and seemed to be texting with the other. I sighed guessing he was probably texting a friend, a girlfriend possibly. I turned back and started walking towards the exit. On my walk towards the parking garage, I couldn’t help but think about him. The way he hugged me.  The feeling I got when he hugged me, like all the sadness I had collected inside of me just got released and I felt light as a feather, though when he hugged me, I did feel my backpack get heavier. If he really put something in my bag, I am going to get back at him so hard the next time I see him.

I finally get to my car when my phone buzzes three times consecutively. Clayton’s name appears and I guess he’d been texting me a long message when I last saw him. I skimmed through it knowing I’m just going to reread it over and over again tonight. I get in the car and lock the doors and toss my backpack in the passenger seat. My eyes catch the words, “Thanks for talking to me today. Don’t get mad at me if I made your backpack heavier…” I stopped reading and said to myself, “I knew it! That boy!” I laughed and continued to read, “… I have this EP that I really wanted you to listen to.  I hope you like it. I’ll text you tonight.”

I unzip my backpack to find a freshly sealed EP. The band’s name is called Before You Exit. I question why he would give me a new CD and we only just met. But I push aside any other ideas and rip open the packaging. I am a sucker for new music. I pop in the CD and listen to it on my drive home.