Chapter 2: No One Accepts Me but Cris

I walked up to the blind place thing. Apparently it is called Cris's Camp or something. Mom left me with the leader called Cris, who lead me around the place. It sounds really amazing, but since I can't see it I can't enjoy it they way others can. I heard whispers like "She's so weird" and "Ha! What a loser." I tried no to let their comments hurt me, but deep down inside it really hurt. At my old school, no one made fun of me. I was just Veronica, the girl who was really bubbly and everyone was ok with. As I hear more from Cris, the more I wished I wasn't blind. This place sounds so good with the bright pink lounge room and the neon blue dining room. I try to look on the bright side. Well, I wouldn't be here If I wasn't blind, right? Though no one else here seems to be blind.....

             Finally, we reach this place where a lady named Sapphire lives. We go inside, and the floors don't even creak. However, Sapphire says "Who's there?" Scaring me half to death.

           "Its me, Cris." Cris replies. How could Sapphire not see her?

           "Where is this new one?" Sapphire asks.

            "Right here." Cris says, pushing me in front of something. I feel around and suspect it is a table for it to be this wide.

             "Hello," Sapphire says to me. She lays her rough hand on mine when it suddenly accures to me she is very old.

             "I'm sure you'll both get along very well. Sapphires blind, too." Cris smiles. I think so, anyway. I like Sapphire and Cris already. My attitude toward this place has TOTALLY changed. Its amazing. Except for the meanness of snobby girls, this place is pretty neat.

*****************************

I've been at Cris's Camp for a week now and I have already learned Braille(which is a language for the blind, like me) and my way around this place. The meals are really yummy and Cris comes to see how I'm doing with Sapphire. Sapphire is really understanding(probably because she is blind too) and tells me her trick is to hear everything. With sound, you can find where a person is, how tall they are, and how much of a threat they pose. Some girls have made mean comments about Sapphire, saying she's just a crazy person, and I've talked to Sapphire about the mean comments and she tells me people who have more privileges always act this way. She really is wise. But no one really accepts me except for Cris and Sapphire.