CHAPTER ONE

-----
warnings: mature language

     Ruth cut the engine on her car, taking a second as she stared at the number printed on her wrist. She shut her eyes, trying to remember everything about her power all at once. She didn't know much, but she knew that she could feel peoples emotions by touching them, and could alter emotions. She was an empath. 

     She could remember the first time that she'd done it to Steve. They were both five years old, playing on the playground during recess. He'd fallen from the swing and started crying, so she laid a hand on his arm to comfort him. She immediately felt every ounce of his pain from his broken arm, and started to cry with him.

     She'd gotten home that night with Steve from the hospital, and her parents had asked her why she was crying, too. Ruth'd told her parents she felt Steve's pain, and that was the first time she'd learned of her powers. Her father told her to never speak of it again, but Ruth continued to feel other peoples emotions when she touched them.

     At some point, she had to stop herself from comforting people in tough situations. But, one day, in sixth grade, she had put her hand on one of her friends shoulders why they were crying. Ruth just wanted them to stop crying, and to be happy. And they immediately stopped. They laughed until their stomach hurt. Ruth had no idea what she'd done, but she never told anyone about it.

     Then she met Eleven. She had the exact same tattoo on her wrist, but she was Eleven instead of Four. Eleven could move things with her mind, and was more powerful than Ruth could imagine. But, she sacrificed herself to kill the demogorgon and save everyone. So, Ruth went on living her life.

     She hated that she couldn't find Eleven, and she wanted to try harder. But, doing that would result in more consequences she didn't want to face. So, Ruth carried on with her life the best she could.

     She climbed out of her car, shutting and locking the drivers side door. She walked into her house, hanging her keys on one of the open hooks by the front door. Her feet naturally carried her into the kitchen to see there we leftovers from dinner still on the table. She examined it and deduced it to be meatloaf, green beans, and mashed potatoes. She took a deep breath, then turned to the pantry and grabbed a granola bar from there instead.

     On her walk to her room, she could hear her brother, Steve, in his room laughing. A feminine laugh rang out with his, Ruth automatically assuming it was Nancy Wheeler. She'd grown accustomed to seeing the Wheeler girl around her house, or joining them for dinner on Sundays. She wasn't surprised to hear her there now.

     Ruth rolled her eyes, walking into her room and turning on her music to block out the sound of them most definitely having sex. At some point, she could heard the slide of Steve's window, meaning Nancy was sneaking out once again. Ruth picked her head up as she heard Steve's door open, and she knew he would start knocking soon. She was correct as a few knocks rang out, a smile falling on her face.

     "Yes?" she questioned. Steve opened the door, eyes narrowing at Ruth.

     "Do you have to play your music so loud?" he asked, crossing his arms.

     "Do you have to have sex with Nancy every time she visits. You know, you could just lay there, but no, you have to ruin my night," Ruth argued with him, pushing her homework aside for the time being.

     "Yeah, yeah, just turn that down," Steve said, motioning to the record player.

     "Oh, this?" Ruth questioned. She turned it up louder, Steve rolling his eyes.

     "Ruth," he persisted. She finally caved, turning it down to a low enough setting that only she'd hear it in her room. "Thank you."

     "Oh, I almost forgot. I got hit on tonight at work," Ruth said, leaning back against the wall. Steve immediately turned at her words, eyes wide as his over protective instincts kicked in.