One Misstep

"I have what I need. Everything is falling into place... now all I need to do is wait for the right moment."

Hawkmoth's eyes flashed, growing desperation fueling his malice.

"You are weak, Cat Noir....

and I am going to break you."

}}¡{{

}}¡{{

Saturday. Sleeping in. If it weren't for days like these, Marinette would be a bigger disaster zone than she already was, and that's saying something.

Naturally, most Saturdays don't begin with someone shaking you awake.

"Hey! Hey, Girl, wake up! Emergency!"

Marinette shot up, still half asleep, and almost whacked Alya in the face.

"Huhwha?! Whasgoingon... d'd iymss my'larmagain?"

"The girls are on their way over, we're modelling your designs!"

"That was today?!" She was wide awake now. Marinette scrambled for her phone, checking the time. "Oh no, they'll be here any minute! They can't know about Cat Noir!"

"He's up, I'll warn him--" Alya started, but just then Sabine called upstairs to tell Marinette her friends had arrived.

"You stall them!" Marinette hissed. Her friend nodded and was away in a flash. Trailing sheets, Marinette stumbled down the ladder and pounded on Cat Noir's door. After a minute, she threw it open. He was just about to do the same from the other side. A look of puzzled amusement crossed his face.

"Cat, I'm so sorry but my friends are here to help me with something and I totally forgot and now Alya's stalling them and you need to hide!!!"

"Easy there, M'lady." He grinned. "I didn't know you came with a times-twenty speed setting. Lose your remote again?"

The girl scowled, grabbing his arm and dragging him down the hallway. He flinched. "This is serious!" She scolded, without slowing down.

"Alright, alright. I was about to leave for patrol, so it's no big deal."

She stopped, turning to him in surprise. "Patrol?"

A strange expression of guilt and embarrassment flitted over him. "Yeah-- to make up for missing so many battles, I um... I've been doing extra..."

"Cat!"

"I know, I know! Don't worry, it's not too much, I'm not overworking myself or anything. I have a lot of free time. It's a great way to get out, you know?" He paused for a moment. "Although, tons of people are still mad at me. Someone threw a sink at me the other day. I mean, really! A sink? Who throws a sink?!? Who carries a sink for the purpose of throwing?!?"