~ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔗𝔥𝔯𝔢𝔢~

A/N: Before I start this chapter, I just want to say that I really hope that y'all are enjoying this book as much as I'm enjoying writing it. This is very new for me, and I'm glad that you guys are along on the ride with me :)

Okay, now, onto the story!

Gandalf opened the door to reveal yet another dwarf, but there was something different about this one. Everyone had gone silent, so I could tell he was either highly feared or highly respected. He stood slightly taller than most of the others; much taller than the hobbit himself, who seemed just as confused as I was. The dwarf had dark hair, almost pitch black with streaks of grey throughout it. His clothing seemed clean and of a higher status than most, which was odd for a dwarf without a permanent home. It was then that I realized that this must be Thorin, the leader Gandalf had told me about. If the legends were true, then this man was a descendant of royalty.

"Gandalf," Thorin spoke as he stepped into the room, his voice clear and deep. "I thought you said this place would be easy to find. I lost my way; twice." He paused long enough to take off his cloak and pass it to one of the other dwarves. "I wouldn't have found it at all, had it not been for that mark on the door," he finished as Bilbo approached him.

"Mark? There's no mark on that door, it was painted a week ago!" the hobbit spoke up. Gandalf moved to shut the door. "There is a mark, I put it there myself. Bilbo Baggins, allow me to introduce the leader of our company: Thorin Oakenshield." So I was right, this was Thorin, the one from the legends. Even living on my own away from others, I'd heard the stories of the young dwarf prince.

Through the whole ordeal, I hung back and allowed the others to talk, not wanting to be seen or called out. "So, this is the hobbit," I heard Thorin say, his demeaning tone making me angry. The hobbit didn't seem like he'd signed up for this, why give him a harder time?

"Tell me, Mr. Baggins, have you done much fighting?" Thorin asked as he began to circle the hobbit, stalking him like prey, looking him up and down. "Pardon me?" Bilbo asked, as if he'd never given fighting a thought. "Axe or sword, what's your weapon of choice?" Thorin pushed, knowing full well the answer. "Well, I do have some skill in conquers, if you must know, but I fail to see why that's relevant," Bilbo answered in a failed attempt to sound tough. "Thought as much. He looks more like a grocer than a burglar," Thorin scoffed, stepping past him until his eyes landed on me.

I straightened up as, one by one, each of the dwarves turned to see what - or who - Thorin was looking at. "Who are you?" he asked gruffly. I swallowed, clearing my throat before I answered, but Gandalf spoke before I could. "That is Cassie. She'll be accompanying you on this quest." Thorin whipped around toward the wizard. "I have no use for a woman on this quest, much less an elf."

My heart shattered as he spoke. I knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. I dropped my gaze to the floor before Gandalf spoke again, making me look up again. "Cassie has an extensive knowledge of medicine among other useful traits. She will make a valuable addition to the company, Thorin." The dwarf looked me over. "Are you any good with a sword?" He asked, to which I nodded. "Swords, daggers, bow, I use them all," I answered. For a moment, he seemed almost impressed, before it vanished, and his cold stare was back.

"Very well. You may join us on this quest, but I reserve the right to change that at any moment. Do I make myself clear?" He asked. I stared at him, a low hatred beginning to burn somewhere inside me as yet another person saw me for only what I cannot change and not what I can do. "Crystal," I answered. With that, he stepped past me, walking towards the dining room.

"I'm not an elf," I called out, making him stop. I slapped myself mentally yet again at my stupidity. "Yes, I am half-elf, but I'm also half-dwarf. I'm a half a part of you all," I said, my fear not as evident in my voice as I'd expected. Thorin shook his head and kept walking. "It doesn't make us a difference," he muttered. The rest of the dwarves began to follow him, some giving me looks of pity while others sent me glares. I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding before I felt a tug at my arm.