Chapter 2 - Lost and Found

Hell? Is that really where you were? If so, it wasn't anything like you had imagined. Neither a blazing, fiery hellscape, nor a dark, empty void. Just a creepy, murky forest with weirdos that fall from trees.
You stared at said weirdo's hand for a second, grimacing at all the filth caked on it before politely returning his gesture and shaking his hand.
"(Y/n). And don't call me dollface."

"Whatever." Frank withdrew his hand and placed both in his jacket pockets, slouching comfortably. "So, (y/n)...how the hell did you end up here? Any ideas?" He queried, looking down and kicking a stray pebble around with his foot.

That was a good question, but one you could supply no answer for, no matter how hard you thought about it. You remembered going to bed the night before, and then...nothing. You just woke up here. You sighed in defeat, shaking your head. "I wish I knew, Frank...your guess is as good as mine." Your attention was drawn downward from the sound of the pebble being tossed around. You watched for a little while, but your head snapped back up and your brow furrowed, recalling recent events. "Hey, wait a second--didn't you try to stab me when you landed on me?!"

He chuckled at your sudden realization, stopping his idle activity to look up at you. "I was wondering if you'd bring that up. Yeah, I did try to stab you. But, I couldn't. The Entity wouldn't let me. And now I have to go on a fucking scavenger hunt for my knife, thanks to you. Gonna be like trying to find a needle in a goddamn haystack..."

The word "knife" seemed to resonate in your mind, for some reason. What was so important about a knife? You knew you'd seen one before, but that shouldn't matter so much, it's just a kitchen utensil; then, it hit you. A knife is what the killer in your nightmare used to end Claudette's life. You didn't get a clear view of the killer's face, but from what you could tell, they were wearing a jacket...could Frank be the one who killed her? Your stomach began churning at the thought...

Before you could interrogate him on the matter, you noticed that he wasn't anywhere near you.
Must have gone off to find his precious knife...fucking asshat.
You remembered him saying that the knife "bounced off" of you, and that something called the "Entity" wouldn't let him hurt you. What was the Entity? Was it God, or Satan, or some other unknown deity? You couldn't be sure. Why did it protect you? Do people normally get stabbed and killed around here? What kind of demented place is this? Your head was so full of questions, it was beginning to give you a headache.

That aside, the thought of standing in the middle of a dark, spooky forest alone for much longer didn't sit well with you, so you decided to head further in, hoping to find someone that didn't want to kill you, or better yet, a way out. You made sure to keep an eye and an ear out for anyone up in the canopy along the way.

"That's it...just keep going..." The masked stalker whispered to himself, watching as you ventured further into the woods. He silently followed behind you as you walked, getting closer and closer, keeping well hidden behind the shrubbery.
You were completely unaware of your new pursuer, your attention too focused on what was above and in front of you, so you had no way of knowing what was coming next.
"Don't mind me...!" He rushed at you with a sudden burst of speed, shoving you to the ground face-first, forcing you to insinctively break your fall with your hands. One of them landed on a pinecone, which was pretty painful, to say the least.

"Ahhh--!" You cried out in a combination of pain and surprise, the wind being knocked out of you cutting it short.

The attacker laughed maniacally as he grabbed his knife in both hands before plunging it into your back, only for the tip of it to bounce off of you, causing the force behind it to ricochet back into his face, effectively knocking him backwards and off of you as he landed on his back. "Ugh..." He grunted in pain as he propped himself on his elbows, staring at you in disbelief. "W-what...?"

"Oh. Hey, Ghostfuck. I see you're having the same problem as me." Frank approached from behind a nearby tree, apparently having just arrived and assessed the situation.

"I thought I told you not to call me that, you little shit." The guy Frank called "Ghostfuck" growled as he stood back up. "What the hell are you doing all the way over here, anyway? Aren't you supposed to be at the border?"

"Yeah. That's where I was, until this bitch--" He pointed down at you. "--showed up, so I tried to stab her and run her off, but for some fucking reason, the Entity decided she was too good for my hunting knife and made it bounce off of her and sent it flying all the way the hell over here, kind of like what just happened to you." He laughed, remembering what had just taken place. "That was some pretty funny shit, not gonna lie."

The man with the white, ghost-like mask (you decided to call him Ghostface instead), however, did not find it as amusing. "So you didn't think to warn the rest of us about an invincible survivor, you absolute moron? Also, who's guarding the border right now, since you clearly aren't?"

"Chill, asshole. I'm not that dumb. I went back to the lodges and had Joey take things over for me while I looked. And, don't act like I give a shit about the rest of you. All I care about are my friends and my knife, that she--huh?" Frank looked down to gesture towards you again, but you were nowhere to be seen. You must have snuck off while he and Ghostface were bickering. "Fuck! Where'd she go?!"

"She couldn't have gotten far. You run back and tell the others about her, I'll look for her."

"Why do I gotta run back for?"

"You're faster. Now get moving." Ghostface ordered, shrouding himself in darkness and skulking off to begin his search.

"Stupid Ghostfuck." Frank muttered under his breath before sprinting off, back towards the aforementioned lodges.

Are they gone...? You peeked out from behind your nearby hiding spot, a big rock that you found nearby. Not seeing or hearing anyone around you, you decided to come out and start heading back the way you came, back to this "border" you heard them talking about. If you could make it back there, maybe you could find a way out of this God-forsaken place. "Why does everyone I come across here try to kill me?" You asked aloud more to yourself, not expecting to receive an answer, but you got one anyway.

"Because we're killers. It's what we do best."

Before you could turn around to react, you felt something hard smack against the back of your head, making you collapse on the forest floor. You saw nothing in front of you, and all you could hear was the wailing of a bell before your vision went black, and your consciousness slipped away...