iii. the rise of the daughter

Dawn crept over Ketterdam, grey stretching through black, bathing the city's rooftops and streets in hazy yellow light.

Captain Johan Visser folded his hands behind his back, staring out his window at his city. He had risen quickly through the ranks of the city watch, and he had been a young man when Henrik Dahlman, the old captain of the stadwatch, had been made inert by jurda parem and Kaz Brekker took over the Barrel. He'd been a witness to the corruption and devastation that laid waste to his city. He'd burned with anger, and fuelled by hatred, he had striven to right this crooked kingdom.

He wouldn't make the same mistakes as his predecessor.

Visser's... guest had left not long ago, and the next step of their plan needed to be put into motion. He adjusted the lapels of his purple coat and slicked back his grey hair. His officers fell into orderly ranks and stood at attention as the captain turned from the window to face them.

The sergeant spoke, "You asked for me, sir."

"I did," Visser confirmed, "I would like you to write down the following names: Wylan Hendricks, Jesper Fahey, Inej Ghafa, Kaz Brekker, and Jordan Rietveld."

The scratching sound of pen against paper filled the room before the officer asked, "But... What do all these names have in common, sir?"

"Each of them are scum of the Barrel: morons, thugs, whores, b—stards, and sluts. No matter where they've found themselves in recent years, they are all canal rats fighting for scraps and scurrying from the light."

At the viciousness in his eyes, the stadwatch guards stood to attention.

"Use those names to sign five warrants for arrest." He turned back to the window, raised his chin, and he smiled, "It's time to bring down that court of thieves once and for all."

Kaz couldn't stop looking at her.

Inej. Inej. Inej.

Her name roared to life inside him, loud, insistent, and absolutely welcome. She looked different. Felt different. But she was still Inej. After everything. Through all of it. He would always recognize her by presence alone. His body would know hers, years apart, in another world, at the end of time. For the first time in eleven years, Kaz allowed himself the briefest sigh of relief. It was traitorous to Jordan, but he couldn't help it. In the assurance of her presence, in the proof of her life, Kaz's body rebelled against him. His blood began to flow and his body warmed.

Jesper and Wylan were beside themselves. When Kaz and Inej finally returned to the mansion on the Geldstraat, the pair fairly passed out at the sight of her. The trio collided into one another, time and distance rolling off of them so simply. They clung to each other and wept, knocking each other affectionately on the shoulders, laughing in genuine and final relief.

Jesper hugged the slight woman as tight as her wounded body could allow, "D—mn you, Inej Ghafa, I love you."

Inej laughed and buried her face in his neck, "I love you, too, Jes."

"And me?" Wylan was playfully indignant, though his eyes glimmered with tears.

She leaned to kiss his cheek, "And you, Wy."

Remember this feeling, Kaz reminded himself, Remember these people you have to lose. He hated his uncertainty. He hated that he wasn't sure if he was smart enough to keep these people together for much longer, but he would try to be. He would have to be.