Chapter 4

It was around three in the afternoon when he barges loudly through shoji doors at the Kochou Estate, demanding to ‘have a word’ with the Flower Pillar.

“Come out! Oi, come out right now, woman!”

Alas, Kochou Kanae is nowhere to be found, for she has taken off on a day trip to the south of Fukuoka on a hunting mission early that morning.

In the end, several retainers have to come out to placate him. What is it, Kazebashira-sama? What is it that you require of us, Kazebashira-sama?

“Even if you’re the hashira , you can’t go around disturbing peace!” Kochou Shinobu remarks with a scowl, after he had calmed down somewhat. As small as she is compared to his tall frame, she stops him by the door with her two arms outstretched.

He does not exert violence. He looks down, and glares at her. “You. Small Kochou.”

She glares back. “What!? What did you just call m-”

“If two of you are in a meeting for all the ranks of demon hunters in the academy, and someone says, ‘Kochou!’ How would you respond?”

“Hah?! Ask yourself that same question when your brother is with you!”

“That big Kochou -”

“ BIG?! How dare you disrespect my sister, you -”

“I’m never going to call her by her first name! Never! You tell her that! She won’t be able to prank me again!”

Shinobu has every intention to yell at him and ask him what in the world is he talking about, and why is he being such a big idiot for a Wind Pillar, but he moves faster than she can speak.

“That’s all!” He grunts, before storming off loudly and grouchingly.

If there is one thing that is certain about him, it is that he is a man of harsh words and big actions with a not-so-harsh heart. And because of this, he wasn't able to stay mad at her for very long and they soon fall back into their old bantering ways.

Caw! Caw! You are to head to Iga at once, Kochou Kanae! Shinazugawa Sanemi!

Such is the cry of the crows that relay the orders while flying overhead their living quarters one particular day. They depart immediately for the region, and after many days of investigating the area together, they finally run into that demon together, on a hot and still night, where the heat of late summer continues to persist before abating into cooler and denser weather.

She slips easily into action before him. Leaping into the air, she points her nichirin directly at her target. Beautiful, white plum blossoms with the blades of a thousand miniature propellers soon burst through the tip of her sword. He has never seen her in action, and has not seen her take one down until that very night.

It takes his breath away.

However, he soon notices that there is no wind, no breeze, not even a current of air in the radius. Not to say there isn't wind power in her attacks for her flower attacks to go through, nevertheless even for a dense person like him, he knows they are better off attacking as a pair of unit than one on one.

“Tch,” he grumbles, and leaps into the air after her.

He lends her a helping hand - by providing blasts of his powerful wind - for her slicing flower petals.

Together, they take down that demon, and another five more from dusk to dawn.

And when it is time to finally retreat into the safety beyond the wisteria vines just as the wisps of sun rays pour over the horizon, they walk side by side in a long, comfortable silence, not the least bothered by how disheveled, exhausted and weary they look.

She breaks the silence first. “Thank you, Shinazugawa-kun.”

Because that's how she is. The initiator. The ice breaker. Everything she is that he isn't.

“...Ah, no problem --" he stops, and then decides on a safe - " -Kochou.”

You were great, he thinks, but leaves that part completely unsaid.

It has been nine months since Shinazugawa Sanemi becomes the Wind Pillar.