"Awakening" Story

"I can't take this anymore..." She cried, stuffing a small rope and stones into a bag. She slung the back over her shoulder and left her home. There was no looking back. 

After each sob and cry, she would wipe away with her tears with her sleeve--but what was the use? It would all be gone soon.

Her entire life, she had lived in a house with her mother, but now that her mother was gone, she felt as if she didn't belong there anymore. She didn't deserve it. 

Since her mother had been gone, she'd been fighting against the pain. Fighting it as hard as a soldier, but now she was too weak to battle it any longer. The light had disappeared. There was no more hope.

Thoughts raced through her mind, but one, sharp, direct negative pierced through them all. 

"My baby..." It was her mother's voice. "Please do not come... please don't come here. Please stay..." 

She paced down the street, and pulled her hood over her head. She didn't want the people of her town to know. Her eyes were red from crying, but that was the least of her problems. 

The ground was cold and bare. Her bare feet stung against the cold, but she refused shoes. Shoes would leave footprints. She wanted to be gone forever, and leave nothing behind. 

She gazed upon the sky. The sun was shining brightly and proudly. She stared at the sun. This was a goodbye. "Farewell, Sun. I will meet with you soon. This is the final time we see one another from this distance." 

After leaving town, she approached a river. The river was calm but had a tension to it that was unsettling. She followed the path of the river, strolling alongside it. The water thrashed, and almost splashed her feet. 

It was her mother's voice again. "My baby, please go back. You are home. Don't leave your home, yet..."

Then the day fell into darkness, and her shadow was lost behind her. 

"Please, mama, listen to me. I need to... please..." She called to the river. She stepped softly in it. The water was a sharp, icy cold, but she didn't mind. It wrapped around her ankles and hugged her as it flowed gently by. The wind wrapped around her body and tickled her skin. 

She followed the river farther downhill, and continued down it even as the water level rose to her waist. 

"Please, I beg you, my baby, don't follow. Please... go back home... please..." Her mother called from her from around her body, but she didn't listen. 

She headed farther down until the water splashed around her shoulders. The stones in her bag weighed her down. She pursued calmly. 

The darkness of night stretched across the sky. Stars twinkled from above. She looked up at them and smiled. Water covered her head and her vision blurred. The stars disappeared from above her and the water embraced her body.  

"My baby, no... no please... please... please, baby..."

Her lungs filled with water and her body became a shell to the river. Her body sank to the floor of the deep river. Her hair floated above her and danced with the movement of the waves. Her eyes stared blankly at the black nothingness around her. 

The water was apart of her now, and would never leave. 

After this long journey, she had made it. 

"Mama, I'm here."