Chapter 3

We boarded a train that would take us to the Capitol. I was sitting in a compartment with Pita, Heyhey, and Eiffel. There were trays of delicious food everywhere, but I wasn’t eating. I wanted to look good for the cameras. Pita and Heyhey were stuffing their mouths. Pigs.

Heyhey was still drinking. I wanted to ask him if I could do a few shots with him but he still kinda scared me. Suddenly, he was staring at me from across the compartment.

“Don’t be shy, Katlick. We’re all friends here,” he slurred.

“I’m just enjoying the view,” I said, looking out the window.

Heyhey laughed. “Whatever you say, J Law.”

He got up to walk across the room. He tripped over a small table and fell face first to the floor. He was out cold. Pita ran to his side.

“I think he needs mouth to mouth,” Pita shouted. I wanted to throw up when he said it.

“He doesn’t need resuscitated,” Eiffel scolded him. “He’s just drunk. Katlick, help Pita get him to his room and cleaned up. We need to look presentable when we arrive.”

Stupid Heyhey. I grabbed him by the legs and Pita took him by the shoulders. We carried him into the next room.

“Over here, in the shower,” Pita told me.

I rolled my eyes. We dropped him into the tub. Pita started taking Heyhey’s clothes off. I stared at him like he was a freak.

“What?” he asked. “Eiffel said to clean him up. Don’t worry, I can handle this.”

“Good,” I said. I walked back into the main compartment.

Eiffel was sipping on a cup of tea. Her face annoyed me so I closed my eyes. When I woke up, Heyhey and Pita were back in the room. Heyhey walked over to look out the window.

“We’re almost to station now,” he announced. “It’s time to get your game faces on.”

I could see that crowds had gathered outside the station to welcome us. They were eager to get the first look at this year’s tributes.

Pita jumped up and ran to window. He gasped when he saw the all the people out there.

“Look at all of them,” he said with a smile.

“Those are potential sponsors,” Heyhey informed us. “Don’t blow this chance for a good first impression.”

Pita unbuckled his belt. I scrunched my face at him. What the hell was he doing? His pants fell to the floor. I covered my mouth in shock. With countless people watching from the station, Pita shoved his package right against the window.

“That’s right,” he said. “Get a look at this year’s winning cock!”

Cheers erupted from the crowd.

“That boy is smarter than he looks,” Heyhey said. “You could learn a thing or two from him, Katlick.”