Chapter 6

“What do you mean Rose?” Lissa looks at me questionly.

“You heard him, if dhampirs can use compulsion...well it’s a risk worth taking.” I lean against the desk.

“Maybe, anyway we’ve got to go, you’ve got an hour before your next lesson.” Lissa smiles and the door clangs shut. With my brain whirring away, I take off my boots leaving my socks on and point my toes, remembering my years of dance lessons as a child which my mother made me forget, using Moroi compulsion. I step onto the tip of my toe and slowly spin around on one foot. I remember the ballet moves which took 3 years for me to perfect. I step off my toe and walk around, stretching my legs and arms. Going onto my toe again, I start spinning again, gradually get faster and rotating my whole foot as the world around me becomes a blur. Its been so long since I realised the joy of dancing. I extend my arms into the ballet position and then trail my foot along the floor and I stop. Stretching my leg up over my head like doing the splits but with one foot on the ground. I put on my boots again and check my schedule. After class 8, Amaris has another training session with me. 3 hours to kill.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Am walks in looking pale and bruised. His eyes lighten up as soon as he sees me in the middle of the room.

“So, I’ve been thinking what you said about dancing and I think it could work, what do you dance to?” I grin.

“Mostly ballet.” He looks down at the floor, his face red.

“Don’t worry, that’s my favourite.” I assure him and throw his bag across the floor.

“Show me what you can do.” I press play on the player and the music from Centre Stage starts playing and he starts dancing. He skims across the floor and places his hands in the way he would hold a girl and spin around lifting the ‘girl’ around with him. He then leaps around the room and spin back into the middle. I stop him there and walk into the middle with him.

“Now, start again.”  I press repeat and walk into the middle. As he skims across the floor again, I spin in front of him and move along with him still spinning. We stop and he puts his hands on my waist and gently lifts me up in to the air, my back to him. After he’s twirled around he sets me down on the floor again and we jump in harmony which turns into leaps and we spiral into the middle. I lean back to the floor and point my toe while stretching it up. Am supports me as I stretch back, my back arcing and then I pull myself up. I point towards the gym mat.

“Go, now.” I say, my voice a little shaky. He rolls his eyes and makes his way to the mat. “Attack me.” I grin. He runs towards me and I push him to the ground without hesitation. I let him get up again and he goes to punch me. I duck it and lash my leg out to kick him but stop it just as my foot touches his stomach. He tries to knock my legs our from under me with his arm but before he gets the chance to touch me I jump on him resulting in me pinning him down on the floor. I swing my arm around quickly to knock him out and he ducks it. “Finally Am!” I smile and he is distracted by hi success so I knock him to the floor again. “Rule 1: Never let anything/anyone distract you.” I jump up and pull him with me. “One more time.” I declare and flick my leg towards him, he flinches to the side but I use my other hand to slap him and tap him on the cheek indicating a slap and push him away. He stumbles and runs at me. Running straight forward, I shift to the side and hold out my arm to squish him to the ground. Instead, he lifts his arm up and grab my arm to twist it. Instead, as he grabs mine I grab his and spin him. He ends up out of breath on the ground. I go to the whiteboard.

Rule 1- never let anything/anyone distract you.

Rule 2- Don’t let your emotions get in the way.

Rule 3-Be alert at all times.

I start off with the simple three rules and turn to him.

“Rule 1, you don’t let anything distract you, this includes talking it could cost you your life. Rule 2, Don’t let your emotions get in the way, if you are protecting someone unknown if you voice your feelings, your enemies can use it against you as a mental and physical weapon. Rule 3, be alert you never know what will happen, before entering any room, check your surrounding sand the room to make sure its safe. Understand?” I explain. Am nods his head and I smile.

“Punching bag.” I simply say to him. He puts on the gloves and starts hitting the Styrofoam dummy, weakly. “Harder,” I watch him. I make him go really fast until he’s punching fast. “Move your legs.” He does as I say and I intercept, throwing my arm in front of the bag. His arms don’t recognise it until he registers that he’s punching my strong arm which will probably give me a small bruise the next morning.

 “Oh my god, sorry!” He moans.

“Don’t worry, I’m stronger than you anyway.” I grin at his face. “You’ve got to have your dinner.” I roll my eyes. “If you need me, I’m room 73 and I assume you have a phone?” I raise an eyebrow. I put my number in and push him out the door.

“That was entertaining.” Lissa walks into the light.

“Thanks?” I say.

“I didn’t know you could dance like that.” She says, her eyes glaring at me.

“There’s a lot of things you don’t know about me honey.”

“Like what?” Lissa sticks her tongue out. I glance behind her and see the usual gang , Mason, Eddie and Dimitri.

“Like...” I try to think of an minor one.

“Like...” Lissa echoes.

“Like.” I shrug my shoulders and make my way out of the gym.