36) I'll stand by you

Song for this chapter is I'll Stand By You by Pretenders

**Louis' P.O.V**

"Louis! Please! Stop!" I hear Harry yell. Fuck. Of course he would be here.

I couldn't now. I couldn't jump. I couldn't let Harry watch that. I love him too much.

"Please go Harry. Just leave and pretend you never saw anything. Please. For me. If you ever loved me you would do this." I beg him through my tears.

"I'm staying Louis. You can't do this. You have so much to live for. What about your mum? Your sisters? They need you Louis. Please. Climb over the edge and come to safety. Please." At the mentioning of my family, I cry harder. I needed something. Human contact of any sort. A tight embrace. Somebody warm to tell me it would be okay. "Please Louis. I'm begging you. Just come over the barrier. To me. Please?" I could hear his voice break as he was about to cry. He was trying to act strong but I knew he was struggling.

Slowly, I climbed over the railing. I slowly walked towards Harry but he ran towards me. He hugged me so tightly, tighter than when he found out I was pregnant, but in a warmer way.

"They're gone Harry. They didn't make it. I'm never going to see them." I bawl into him. He kisses the top of my head and strokes my hair.

"It's okay Lou. It's okay. Everything is going to be okay." He whispers into my hair. It's so comforting. I just cry and cry and cry whilst hugging Harry at 10pm in the middle of a bridge on a Monday night. That's all I remember until the next day.

—————————

I woke up in my bed the next morning. I say morning, it was 2pm. I haven't slept so deeply for a while and it felt relaxing. I felt like I had some energy. I remembered all the events of yesterday and suddenly thought. How did I get back here? Was it all just a dream? A horrible dream?

Harry knocked on my door and brought in a tray with some food and a cup of tea. Not a dream. "I figured you should probably eat something. I don't know if you ate much yesterday but knowing you it was very unlikely." He was right. I hadn't eaten since lunchtime yesterday. Even then, it was just a bagel. Nothing substantial.

"How did I get home? I don't remember driving." I ask him. I already know the answer but I have to make sure.

"I brought you back. You fell asleep in my arms on the bridge so I decided it was best to drive you. We do need to get your car still though. But that can wait. How are you feeling?" He asks sincerely.

"I'm okay. Thanks. I should probably talk to Pat about this, shouldn't I?" I slightly joke. His face slightly drops for some reason. My mind suddenly remembers. The note. "Hey. When you brought me back, there was something on my bed. Did you happen to see it?"

"Yes I did see the note." He responds.

"I don't suppose you just chucked it away instead of reading it?" I ask hopefully.

"Of course I read it, Louis. I'm sorry if you didn't want me to but it had my name on it so I assumed it was okay. I'm sorry if you didn't want me to see it." He apologises.

"It's okay. Anyway. I'm going to go have a shower." I tell him as I finish off my food and drink. "Can you pick some clothes for me and put them on my bed? You know where everything is." I smile at him as I get up. He nods and takes my plate and mug.

———————

After my shower, I notice he has picked out my favourite outfit. I smile to myself at this. I get changed and walk out to the living room, where Harry is sat.

"Oh my god. Please tell me you aren't reading what I think you are!" He looks up at me with a wad of papers. My songs.

"These are amazing Lou. You have some serious talent. I'm not kidding."

"Thanks Harry. Anyway, you should probably get going, shouldn't you? You probably have plans and I assume you probably haven't spoken to your boyfriend very much in the last 24 hours." I tell him, slightly jealous at my last statement.

"My boyfriend? What are you on about Louis?" He chuckles.

"That dude on your Instagram?"

"Oh. You mean my sister's boyfriend. That's Ed. Definitely straight and definitely not my type." He chuckles again. "And I have no plans so I can stay here as long as necessary. I'm here for you Louis. I'm always here. And I'll always stand by you through anything. And you need someone right now. As many walls as you put up, you aren't string enough to deal with this on your own. You know you aren't. Let me help?" He was right. I did need someone. I needed Harry. Even as a friend, I just needed his comfort. He was the only person who could help me through this and we both knew it.

We spent the rest of the afternoon catching up from the last few months, not that I had much to tell him. When I told him about Pat, my therapist, he looked much more relieved that when I mentioned him earlier. I wonder what changed. We also got my car from the bridge.

We said goodnight to each other around 10:30 that night. Harry was staying in the guest room as it was just easier for both of us.

As I was falling asleep, one thing Harry said had stuck in my mind. "I'll always stand by you." Did he still have feelings for me or was I just reaching?