He Scares Me a Bit

Cobra had always been slightly afraid of Midnight since the day that Brain had taken him aside and talked to him alone.
He hadn't been able to hear the conversation and from then on, he couldn't hear Midnight's thoughts either.
Midnight began to draw away from them a bit. He became colder and meaner. Darker somehow.
This was the same Macbeth that Erik had known in the tower who begged to lay in his arms so he would be safe.
There was something wrong about Midnight and there was something Midnight didn't want him to know.
He wished that he knew what it was.

"You're up early,"
"Im more than welcome to wake up whenever I please." The reflector mage answered.
"Cobra is right. It's odd for you to be up this early."
'What's going on with him? He's changed so much and now this?'
Angel thought that one and she was right, Cobra thought.
"Actually hungry for once?" Racer teased him.
Midnight shook his head.
'Damn. I haven't seen him eat in a couple years. How is he doing this?'
Cobra hadn't seen him eat, but he'd heard it.
"Getting up early to make a bit of extra money? Oh yeah~!"
Midnight shook his head.
'I wish I could talk to him anymore.'
"Good morning, Midnight. Glad to see you. Are we going to get going for the day?"
Brain.
'Oh good. He's up early like he said he'd be. Good. He needs to get stronger.'
Cobra nearly glared at him, but refrained.
'Make smart choices now, Cobra.'
Jerk.
Midnight, however, nodded to the guild master, "Of course, father." He said, following alongside him quietly.
As soon as they had left, Racer swore.
"Around a lady? How rude," Angel commented in a teasing fashion.
"I'm getting real tired of this Midnight! What happened to our Macbeth?" Racer groaned.
"It's true. He hasn't used Richard as a pillow in... how long has it been now?" Angel asked, looking to the taller male.
"It's been years, I'll admit." Hoteye answered her, honestly, "But, I shall be direct with my feelings. I believe that he is trying to leave his past behind. I think he's trying to be strong now and to do so... I think he may have deluded himself into thinking that he must be above family. That is what I think. Maybe he's trying to be independent, since he used to rely on us a lot. How old is he now anyway?"
"Around eighteen or nineteen, I think." Cobra answered.
"How old does he think he is?" Angel asked.
"I don't know. You know I can't hear his thoughts." Cobra sighed, "But if Im being honest, I don't think he really knows either. But I can't say for sure."
"Whatever the case, I think we should respect his boundaries and let him decide how he'll love his life now."

Crimson orbs that looked like blood pools, looked over him.
He had fallen asleep on the couch, "Hey, Midnight. Need something?"
"Train with me."
"I'm sorry?"
"You heard me."
"I did, but... why?"
"Because I want to... and I haven't seen you in a while... or... rather, talked to you, in a while."
That was odd.
Cobra sat up and turned around to face him, "You mean that? You just want to see me for a little while?" He asked.
"Yes. Is that a bad thing?"
"No! Not at all!"
Cobra hesitantly got up and followed Midnigbt to train for a little while.
It didn't take long for both of them to lose their shirts. It was summer after all.
"Midnight." Came a stern voice, "What are you doing? You're supposed to be out with me by now." Brain.
Then the most odd thing happened. He watch Midnight freeze up, almost in fear.
"Sorry," he said, "I forgot. Figured I could train with Cobra today. I-"
"No excuses." Brain grasped onto Midnight's wrist and began to pull him along.
"Hey!" Cobra yelled, "He and I are sparring. Let him go."
Everything went silent for a second.
"What did you just say?"
"I said: he and I are sparring. Let. Him. Go."
Brain looked astonished for a moment, before letting go of Midnight, who stumbled back slightly.
Then, without another word, turned on his heel and stride from the room.
"Hey! Are you okay?" Cobra asked approaching the other who still hadn't looked up at him since Brain left.
"Yes, I'm fine."
"Midnight."
"I said I'm fine." His voice cracked.
"Midnight!"
"Nothing is wrong!" Again.
"Macbeth!"
Silence.
Then, Midnight took two steps toward him and wrapped his arms around the taller male, "Im scared of him... he said he would never let me get hurt again but... then he hit me a couple years ago. When he pulled me aside. Told me I wouldn't amount to anything and that he was going to get rid of me. He said I was weak and that I was useless to him because at the time I still couldn't walk very well.
"And I was scared. I didn't wanna be thrown out... If that happens... what will I do?" He shivered, "So I got really serious about training so that I could be strong like you guys and then you all started looking at me funny."
"Maybe it had something to do with the fact that you were being... less than friendly with us. We've been trying to figure out what's been eating at you for a while, you know. Macbeth, we love you and want you to be happy... and furthermore—"
He paused then.
That was something he had never admitted to anyone.
While the mage scared him a bit... he had... always had a bit of a thing for him.
And he wasn't about to just tell him that... was he?
"What? Furthermore...?"
"I—"
"What is it?"
"You've kept secrets too. I don't—"
"I just told you mine."
"But I—"
"Cobra..."
"I-"
"Erik, please I—"
With that, Cobra closed the distance and shoved their lips together.
Midnight immediately gasped but ended up settling into it anyway.
The reflector mage let his eyes slip shut as their lips were simply pressed against each other.
Midnight decided to put his arms up on Cobra's arms before his lips began to move, softly on the other's.
Cobra sighed softly and placed both hands on Midnight's face, cupping him.
The dual-haired mage then wrapped his arms around Cobra and they suddenly began to stumble.
Their lips parted and Midnight drew in air, "Let's... go to your bedroom."