I.

MILLION REASONS. | I. 

'MASTER THIEF' )

Valara ran through the sand streets of the little settlement, sliding under vehicles and avoiding passersby as she tried to escape her pursuer

"You, street rat!" shouted the shop owner behind her. 

Valara simply stuck her tongue out at the large creature before picking up the pace. She laughed as the shop owner ran out of breath, slowing behind her. 

She was so distracted that she didn't even see herself run into someone in front of her. 

She fell to the ground, but the other person stayed standing. Valara looked up to see a tall man with long hair and a beard looking down inquisitively at her. Beside him, there was an older girl with intricate braids woven into her hair. And behind her was a Gungan. 

"Sorry, sir," she mumbled, getting back to her feet. 

"It's quite alright," the man mused. "Where are you going?"

"Far away from him," Valara pointed a thumb at the shop owner who was getting closer. 

"Stop, thief!" he shouted after her. 

"Sorry Calo!" Valara said urgently. "Gotta eat somehow!"

She went to run again but the man had grabbed her arm, snapping her back into view. 

"What are you doing, Mister?" she fumed, struggling against his hold. It didn't work. 

"Did you steal this?" the man asked her, taking the fruit out of her hands. 

"Hey, I worked hard for that!" Valara protested. "Give it back!"

The shop owner caught up and approached the group. "Quinn! You will pay for this!"

"I'm sorry, sir," the man said, releasing Valara. "How much will you take for it? Ten Republic Credits?"

"Republic Credits," the merchant scoffed. "Those don't work here."

Valara sighed and stepped in front of the man, digging a single golden Wupiupi coin out of her pocket and placing it in his hand. 

"I need five, Quinn," he sneered. 

Valara pointed at his hand. "There are five there. See?"

There was, in fact, only one coin in his hand. But miraculously, he seemed to be convinced as he nodded, cursing under his breath as he walked back to his stall. 

Valara took the melon from the man's hands and continued on her way. 

"Wait!" he called out. 

She turned slowly.