Chapter 1: awakening

You wake up to the smell of antiseptic and a bright light above you. Looking into the light burns your eyes, and your body automatically closes for you. After getting over your initial reaction, you slowly open your eyes once more and avert your gaze from the light in favor of looking around the room. You appear to be in a hospital room, or maybe a nurses office. As if to answer your question, a short lady with grey hair put into a bun walks into the room. She regards you for a second before she almost sprints up to the side of the bed and begins to fuss over you, specifically your abdomen and your left shoulder. Now that you get a better look at her, you recognize her as the youthful heroine: Recovery Girl, "now then, dear, how are you feeling?" You ponder for a moment before answering her as best you can, "I feel fine for the most part, my shoulder and abdomen are numb though." The nurse gives you a slightly questioning look, as if to ask 'is that the truth?'. You give her a reassuring smile as a response.

She tells you to lay back down so that you can rest, though your attempts at falling asleep are thwarted when the door to Recovery girls office opens. You watch as an average sized man with a tangle of black hair that goes halfway down his back. He wears baggy black clothes and has some sort of scarf around his neck - Recovery Girl gives him a look and says "hello Shouta." He nods to Recovery Girl before turning to you with something akin to curiosity in his eyes. You feel that he should be familiar, but the reason for that escapes you - actually, now that you think about it, you remember almost nothing about before you woke up here. The only things that are firmly rooted in your mind are your name and that you absolutely despise your quirk, it felt like you were trying to subconsciously reject it as a whole, 'bad' you stiffen as 'Shouta' approaches the side of your bed, 'defense. Don't let hurt.' you decide to get back to your quirk on that at a later time in favor of studying the man before you. He seemed very, very tired and just about as done with everything that any one person could be. Though you notice something hiding beneath the surface of the facade, you have no idea what it is, and your quirk tugs at the back of your brain 'protect self. No let hurt.' Your quirk seems to identify 'Shouta' as a potential threat, putting you on edge as he continues to get closer. He stood at the edge of the bed and takes the free seat.

He began talking in a calm, almost bored sounding tone; "Hello, I am Aizawa Shouta. I hope I don't come off as too blunt, but may I ask what you were doing in an alleyway near the front of UA?" Both you and your quirk take in the new information greedily, though you also give Aizawa-San a questioning gaze, "I don't remember being in an alleyway." He gave you a look before Recovery Girl spoke up, "She might have amnesia." Aizawa-San turns back to you with a questioning look of his own, "do you remember anything from before being in this room?" You nod and give him an answer, "I remember m-my n-name. It's Y/N" he nodded in acknowledgment before his expression softened slightly, "okay then. Y/N, do you remember anything else? Like where you were before being here?" You shake your head before pausing for a second - Aizawa, being the observer he is, looked at you quizzically. You debate over whether to tell him or not before eventually deciding you had nothing to lose, "I-I remember so-something. Th-there was a m-man. He'd hurt m-me, I r-remember being sc-scared o-of people in g-general." Aizawa-San looks like he can't decide whether to be angry or worried - noticing his anger, your body reacts on its own and you start apologizing, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I made you angry. Please don't hurt me. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sor-" he cuts you off by holding a hand in front of you, "I'm not angry at you, and you have nothing to be sorry about. I'm angry at the people who hurt you." You feel both deeps set confusion and pure unadulterated joy that someone had gotten angry for you. You smile as wide as you possibly could, and give him a heartfelt thanks, "Thank you for not hating me..." you're so distracted that you almost miss the quiet voice of your quirk speaking again, 'Accepted. Claimed. Protect.' You shiver at the voice when it says 'claimed'. You don't want Aizawa-San to be an item, he's a person. He gets his own choice. At your thoughts the quirk speaks again, 'Opinion accepted' you shiver again and Aizawa-San wraps an arm around you and pulls you into a comfort hug, "you cold? You've been shivering for a while now." You shake your head and just press yourself into the warmth of another person's embrace. You fall asleep in his arms.