5 | Love-Letters

Y/N

_

"There's no use crying over it," my mother scolded, "it's good riddance if you ask me."

It's been a month since Timothée left. The day after, he disappeared from the house, leaving me behind with his promise to come back. I still had fear he'd follow through.

"I'm not crying," I said, tucking away the corners of my bed, "he's long gone."

"You've become distracted."

"By other things," I lied, "not by him."

I knew I would never find peace. Timothée brought peace to my life, and it was taken away as soon as he left. I stood back onto my feet, letting out a sigh. I was now the leader of Lourdes, a task I never thought I'd have the ability to fulfill. With him gone, I knew there was nothing left for me to do, but to take the honor upon myself.

"The council has issued a meeting," my mother added, "there is talk about the King's death."

"Which king?"

"Valor's king."

"And how would we know?" I questioned, "we have no longer been in contact with anyone from that realm."

"The red sparks lit the sky last night while you were sleeping," she explained, "the only time we see those fireworks is when a ruler has fallen."

"When I die, will I get red sparks?" I joked, "could we make them blue?"

Apparently the joke was not appealing, because she didn't laugh. Instead, she sent me a haughty scoff, and turned towards the door.

"I'll be off to the village, then," she said, "do not be late."

I watched her leave, followed by the sound of the front door shutting behind her. Meetings, upon meetings, upon meetings I had to attend. After accepting my title, every problem fell onto my hands. The council could do nothing without my word, so that meant I had to deal with missing chickens, or broken pottery. Nothing else of interest ever happened here.

"Don't be late,"  I mocked, muttering to myself, "what would I be late for? A cracked tooth?"

A loud knock banged against the cottage door, jolting me out of my despairs. Nothing followed the noise, but silence. Creeping into the hallway, I pressed my back against the wall as I neared the door. It was rare we received visitors this far from town, and even when we did, the person announced themselves.

Grabbing a coal shovel that was propped up against the cupboard, I clutched it tightly as my fingers touched the handle. Swinging open the door, I prepared to greet the visitor.

But no one was there.

"Hello?" I called out, leaning outside to see if anyone had run off, "anyone there?"

There was no one. I thought I had been hearing things, until I noticed a thin envelope lying at my feet. Bending down, I dropped the shovel and picked up the letter. The only writing on the front was my name.

Y/N Lourdes

Flipping it over, I opened the crease, and took out the paper inside. Embossed on the paper was an ink stamp, marking two arrows and a lettering seal.

"Valor..." I mumbled to myself, quickly shutting the door and rushing into my room, "Timothée."

My heart was pounding as I read the letter, my mind racing. Why now? How did it get here? For months, I had not heard a word from the boy, but now he was sending letters to my door? It was impossible; no one has ever sent mail to Lourdes before, because of the border. I began to read, my hands shaking.

Mon Amour,

You have never left my mind since the day I left. I apologize for leaving unannounced, but considering your mother would have beaten me with a broom if I stayed any longer, it was for the best.

I laughed at his mention of my mother. I wouldn't doubt her inclination to shoo away unwanted guests with a stick.

Last night, red sparks were sent into the sky, meaning only one thing. The King has died. His son, the prince, will be crowned in three days time. From there, we hope to bring peace back to our Kingdom, and to your village.

I promised I would come back for you.

avec amour,
Timothée

I stopped, pressing the letter against my chest. He can't come back, I told him not to. It was too dangerous.

Slipping the paper into my pocket, I slid open the window and peered outside, waiting. Waiting for anything to happen. And just as I predicted, I saw a figure approaching from the east. My heart swelling, I ran out of the cottage and onto the stone path. As the shadow grew near, my stomach started to drop. He was not alone.

A horse-drawn cart came rolling in behind him, along with two other men and a woman. Taking a step towards the group, I realized another thing: none of them were Timothée.

"What?" I muttered to myself, frozen to my spot.

How did they all cross the border? Why were they here? I was too frightened to move, and soon they were directly in front of me. The other two men were twins, huge and burley. The first man was thin, but scars ran along his cheeks. The woman had a dagger tied to her thigh, her arms crossed.

"Who are you?" I blurted out, trembling.

"We are looking for y/n Lourdes," the woman spoke, "where is she?"

I didn't want to tell them who I was. My eyes kept darting back and forth to the knife, growing more and more terrified by the second.

"Now, listen here," the thin man said, grabbing my arm and shoving me, "you tell us where she is, or there will be-"

As I stumbled back, the letter fell out of my pocket, fluttering onto the pavement before us.

avec amour,
Timothée

"It's her," the woman said, nodding at the twins, "put her in the cart."

I could barely let out a scream, before I was grabbed and dragged towards the back of the carriage. I struggled, kicking and shouting at them, as they tied a rope to my wrists and tossed me into the wooden trunk.

"We don't want to hurt you," the thin man said, "but if you try to run, we will."

Shoving a straw bag over my head, my vision was gone. All I could see was a pitch black void in front of me, and all I could hear were the sounds of the cart beginning to move again.

I was going to Valor.

_

I'm not 100% confident with this book atm but I promise it will get interesting in the next chapter!

are you guys liking it so far..?