1 | 7 | Our Team is a Disappointment

Sunday, February 13

Cynthia and Jamie wake me up extra early today.

"Will you-" I groan when Cynthia takes my blanket off- "knock it off?"

"Come on! You'll miss it!"

"Miss what?" I ask, shooting an icy glare at Jamie. As expected, she backs off immediately with a nervous chuckle.

Cynthia shakes her head in mock disappointment. "The Quidditch match between Ravenclaw and Gryffindor!"

I push my pillow over my head.

"Suit yourself," Jamie says and almost walks off before Cynthia grabs the neck of her robe and pulls her back.

"Get dressed, Arabelle," she orders. "We'll meet you with Blair."

"What about Cassia?" I ask, ignoring the fact that she's making me go without my consent.

She shrugs. "Greengrass is fine, too, I guess."

Jamie sticks her tongue out. "Cassia? Yuck."

"Take those words back or you'll be eating from the ground for the week," I threaten casually, getting out of my bed to pick out some clothes.

"Jeez, Belle," Cynthia scoffs. "Knock off the threats or we're leaving you."

I grin. "Well that just makes me want to make more threats."

She rolls her eyes and takes Jamie out so I can get dressed. When I do, I dress in a simple black shirt and skirt with my navy blue cloak and Severus's scarf.

The instant I'm in the common room, a Ravenclaw flag is shoved in my hands and I stare at it in disgust. "Let's go, Ravenclaw!"

"Who's on the team again?" I ask, genuinely not knowing.

Cynthia rolls her eyes. "Irene Williams, Reginald Anderson, Garcia, Cooper Warner, he's the captain." She points at a seventh year. "He'll be gone next year, so he's looking for the best to replace him. Of course, there aren't many to choose from."

I knew that. Quidditch recently wasn't a popular sport with us Ravenclaws. We've been beaten by Slytherin and Gryffindor for so many years. Will this year be different?

"We're not going to win," I announce.

Several eyes turn to me and I realize with a blush that I said that rather loudly. Cynthia pulls me away in exasperation. "Arabelle, you're going to get killed for saying such things."

Jamie smirks from the other side of the room. I ignore her.

At the Quidditch match, things are not going well.

"Anderson passes to Garcia- Interjected by Harris who gives it to- Garcia steals the ball! The first Ravenclaw point- No, actually it was blocked. Sorry! Back to Gryffindor."

Cynthia and Blair groan while Cassia stands beside me and shrugs nonchalantly. "You didn't expect them to win, did you?" She asks me.

I shake my head. "I tried to tell Cynthia but nearly had my head for it." I duck when a Ravenclaw player comes clumsily flying over our heads. "I didn't realize Ravenclaw sucked so bad."

"We don't," Cynthia snaps, upset at my beliefs.

"Yeah," Blair backs her up, even though she isn't even in Ravenclaw. I point to the scoreboard. They scowl at me. "Where's your loyalty?"

Cassia rolls her eyes. "It's okay. Ravenclaw's don't have much House loyalty, anyway." Before I can protest, she continues to talk. "Ravenclaw wasn't so bad when I was a first year. They beat Gryffindor twice in that year. Then both of their Beaters graduated and they couldn't find better replacements. The next year a brilliant Chaser also graduated. They haven't been the same since."

"I can see that," I reply, watching one of our Ravenclaw Beaters accidentally hit our Chaser. I winced at the sight. How brutally awful these players are.

"Garcia has the Quaffle! Nice steal from- ooh! Hit to the shoulder with a Bludger. Johnson has it- he shoots, he scores! Another point for Gryffindor!"

Cynthia screams at our team while Blair shrieks at the Gryffindors closest to us. It isn't a pretty sight.

I have to cover my ears when the announcer says, "Yates caught the Snitch! The end points are 30-210! Gryffindor wins!"

Cynthia will not let me hear the end of this, will she?

I hope none of our teammates were too surprised.

I mean, come on. They should've done a little better or tried harder and I would have just the tiniest sympathy. That's now how it worked though.

I don't reprimand them. While the players come back to rant about their loss, I go to bed to avoid hearing about it.

Honestly, when will they learn? If they are going to take Quidditch seriously they might as well try. Or else, it won't make for an interesting game. That's all I'm asking for.

This is why I don't watch any of the games.

~ * ~ *
Published 5-21-20