Today Has

First Year

Today was cold. Far too cold for Nakatani Nanase's liking.

She was standing in line on Inashiro's school entrance ceremony, slightly shivering as she felt the winds of spring blowing on her exposed legs. She regretted not wearing leggings.

The bow on her uniform was pretty, but she didn't like the uniform that much. White was never a good much with her dark red hair. She had complained to Mei about it, saying, "Mei! Inashiro's uniform is so ugly! Why do we have to go there?"

Mei only scoffed, "I'm going to Koushien, Nana! I don't care whether the uniform is ugly or not."

"You're the one to say..." She muttered, "You have blonde hair... The Inashiro uniform is practically made for you."

He grinned at her. "I look good in everything."

The principal ended his speech and the student body clapped. Nanase was dying to enter the school hall already.

"Are you feeling cold?"

Nanase look up from her shivering legs to the boy in front of her—red hair, a small scowl on his lips, eyes looking like they were bored to death. Students were taking their time to move around courtyard for a moment, some were taking pictures as a immortalizing the day they finally enter Inashiro Industrial. The boy had his hands buried deep in his pockets,

Mei's friend, Nanase noted, from baseball.

"Yes—" Nanase wasted no time in answering. "—it's just too cold isn't it, Shirakawa-kun?"

He scoffed and Nanase could swore she saw him rolling his eyes. "It's not cold at all. You should've worn something to cover up your legs."

Nanase snapped her finger, "That was what I was thinking!" She pointed a finger at him, acknowledging his advice. "The skirt is way too short, don't you think? Don't the school know that winter had just barely ended—" her complaints were cut short off with a familiar voice ringing through the air.

"Nana—!!"

Shirakawa and Nanase both turned their head towards the direction of the sound, seeing Narumiya Mei with flowery aura heading towards them with the brightest smile he could offer.

"Bother," Shirakawa mumbled and Nanase almost agreed.

"Mei!" The sight of her best friend made her smile however, just then realising that she had missed him so much.

Mei had to stay in the dorms, even when school hasn't started yet. He left house a few weeks ago and this was practically their first time meeting in a while.

The blonde boy raced up to them only to crash towards Nanase, hugging her arms to place his head against her shoulder.

"You're embarrassing—"

Nanase tried to push him off, causing Mei to tighten his grip on her forearms.

Shirakawa stared at the two, an irk mark on his head as Nanase looked at him apologetically.

"Nana, how dare you leave me—"

"You were the one who left me, Mei."

"—alone in this cruel school. Cruel! I tell you! The coach is mean, and the senpais are all mean, and even Katsuyuki here told me to stab myself three times! Three times!" Mei hold up three fingers, emphasizing on the "three".

Hearing his name mentioned, Shirakawa scoffed and gave Mei a nasty glare. "Not my fault you lost your mitt."

Mei returned his glare, "You.... Misplacing things is a very humane thing to do, right Nana?" He looked at her.

Nanase sighed, finally able to push him off her arm (which suddenly feels all heavy all of the sudden). She shook her head, "You shouldn't be misplacing your mitt if you want to be ace, Mei."

Her scolding managed to shut him up. Mei looked at her with widened eyes, hand on his heart though he couldn't say that he was quite offended. It was true.

"Let's go in," Shirakawa finally broke the silence, paying no attention to Mei but more so to Nanase.

Nanase nodded while sighing—

"Hey, wait!"

What is it this time...

"What?" Shirakawa, who was already facing the school building. He raised an eyebrow, seeing Mei holding out his phone to him.

"Come on," he grinned, not answering Shirakawa as he pushed the phone on his chest then pulling Nanase to pose in front of the school building, under the grand sign of "INASHIRO INDUSTRIAL".

"Your fans are waiting to take pictures with you as well," Shirakawa said indifferently, with Mei's phone in his hand, acknowledging the girls standing around them.

Mei stuck a tongue out. "Whatever! Nana always comes first."