Chapter One: the Beginning.

THIS BOOK IS DEDICATED TO MY MOTHER. THE FIRST PERSON WHO WAS SO EXCITED ABOUT LUNA AND HER WORLD; WANTED TO KNOW MORE, TOO.

MY NAME IS LUNA.

It kind of means the Moon. When you Google the name '"Luna'" under the Urban Dictionary, it says that the name Luna comes from Spanish or Latin origins. My mother had the name picked out before I was born.

My mother tells me I was born under a full moon.

She was nine months pregnant with me and eating take-out on the living room couch when the contractions started. Dad was outside in the workshop sanding down a cutting board he made for Mom's kitchen and drinking a Diet Root Beer. It was a nice evening in mid-October. They told me that it was really warm outside and the neighborhood kids were riding their bikes and rollerblades down the paved streets. You could hear the constant laughter from the children playing outside and the occasional high-pitched screams of excitement. Mom was watching Criminal Minds and eating Sesame Chicken from the closest Chinese Food Restaurant.

She was told by Doctor Nicole Harris (the doctor who delivered me) to stay close to town and near the Reed City Hospital during these last few days of pregnancy. Mom was a petite, dark-haired woman who liked to wear Sunflower tee-shirts and denim shorts with white sneakers. She almost always smelled like lavender perfume and vanilla lotion. She often wore my dad's baseball caps and would watch him practice baseball in the Dugout by our house. Dad was a HUGE baseball fan. He collected cards and watched them every Saturday night (religiously) on our Flat Screen TV.

He loved the Chicago Cubs and his favorite player, Kris Bryant. He loved eating Ice Cream Sandwiches and watching the birds come and go from our front yard in the early mornings.