11

we go to the same junkyard we were at when el first led us to the "gate". we all breath heavy as we set our bikes down. i look at lucas and he hugs me. i hug him back. "holy..holy shit! did..did you see what she did to that van?" dustin asks. i step away from lucas. "no dustin we missed it." i say. "i mean that was.." dustin says. "awesome." lucas says. we all look over to him. "it was awesome." lucas says. he walks over to el and kneels down infront of her. "everything i said about you being a traitor and stuff... i was wrong. i'm sorry." lucas says and puts his hand on her back. "friends..friends don't lie. i'm sorry, too." el says. "me too." mike says. mike sticks his hand out to lucas. lucas stands up and shakes mike's hand.

"this is randolph road, right here." lucas says drawing in the dirt. "the fence starts here, and goes all the way around. and this is the lab right here. the gates gotta be in there somewhere. it's gotta be." lucas says. "who owns hawkins lab?" i ask. "this sign says department of energy." lucas says. "department of energy? what do you think that means?" dustin asks. "it means government. military." i say. "then why does it say energy?" dustin asks. "just trust me all right. it's military. my dads told me before." i say. "she's right. there's soldiers out front." lucas says. "do they make like, lightbulbs or something?" dustin asks. "no weapons. to fight the russians and commission and stuff." i say. "weapons." lucas says. "oh jesus this is bad." dustin says. "really bad the place is like a fortress." lucas says. "well, what do we do?" dustin asks. "i don't know, but we can't go home." i say. "we're fugitives now." mike says. i hear a helicopter in the distance. "guys." dustin says. "do you hear that?" he asks. "go go go go go!" i say and stuff my bike under the bus. i run to the back of the bus. lucas sits next to me. "get down!" mike says. i lay on the floor and lucas holds my hand.

"mike, are you there? mike?" we hear nancy's voice from the walkie talkie. "you guys hear that?" dustin asks. "mike, it's me, nancy." nancy says. mike quickly grabs his walkie talkie. "mike we need you to answer." nancy says. "is that your sister?" i ask. "this is an emergency mike. do you copy?" nancy asks. "ok this is really weird." dustin says. i grab the walkie but mike grabs it from my hands. "don't answer." he says. "she said it was an emergency." lucas says. "what if it's a trick." mike says. "it's your sister." i say. "what if the bad people kidnapped her?" mike asks. "i need you to answer." nancy says. "it's like lando calrissian dont answer." dustin says. "we need to know that you're there mike." nancy says. "listen kid this is the chief if you're there pick up." hopper says. "we know you're in trouble and we know about the girl." hopper says. everyone stays silent. i grab the walkie out of mike's hand. "this is y/n walsh. i'm with mike, dustin, lucas, and el. we copy." i say into the walkie. "we're here." mike says into the walkie.

dustin paces around the bus as we wait for the chief. i sit on the same seat as lucas. "will you stop pacing?" mike asks. "it's been way to long. do you know what? maybe you're right. maybe this is all a trap and the bad men are coming to get us right now!" dustin says. "it's not a trap. why would the chief set us up?" lucas says. "nancy, maybe, but the chief?" i ask. "lando calrissian." dustin says. "would you shut up about lando?" lucas asks. "i don't feel good about this. i don't feel good about this!" dustin says. "when do you feel good about anything?" lucas asks matching dustins voice level. "lucas calm down." i say quietly. we hear cars approaching. we run to the front of the bus and see two black cars approaching us. "shit!" dustin yells. we run to the back of the bus. we duck down behind seats. "shit shit shit." i whisper. "lando." dustin says. "you think they saw us?" lucas asks. "both of you, shut up." mike says. the bus door opens and i reach for lucas' hand. he grabs mine and i squeeze his tight. there's grunting and gun shots. the chief walks into the bus. "alright let's go." hopper says. "let's go!" hopper says again. we grab our thing and follow him out. it nears night time and we pull up to the byers' house. "mike. oh my god. mike!" nancy says. nancy hugs mike. "i was so worried about you." she says. "yeah,uh...me too." mike says. nancy looks past mike at el. "is that my dress?" she asks.