Ch 15

"This is it." I sigh as we pull up to an abandoned military base and I kill the trucks engine and we get out.

"The file came from these coordinates." Natasha says as she steps out.

"So did we." Steve speaks stepping out handing me my shield as he also holds his.

It got darker out as we walked around the base trying to pinpoint where the signal came from.

"This camp is where we were trained." Steve says as he looks around.

"Changed much?" Natasha asks.

I look over to where the abandoned obstacle course stood.

Flashback

"Come on Bucky!"

"Come on J.D.!"

Bucky and I were going through the obstacle course, head to head. A friendly competition in our down time. We were climbing the huge wooden wall with a single rope. I lose footing making me slide down, burning my hands with the rope making me hiss. I catch my footing mid way down and quickly climb back up going over the wall catching up with Buck who was struggling on the next part.

At the end Bucky and I finish neck in neck, together. The other soldiers who were watching come over to us. Colonel Chester Phillips then grabs our attention as he calls us over making us nervous. He has a straight face as he looks at us and turns to me.

"What's your name, soldier?" He asks.

"Barnes, sir." I salute.

"And yours son?" He asks turning to Bucky.

"Also Barnes, sir." He salutes.

"Siblings." He nods making us do the same.

"I've heard about your condition, soldier." He says looking at me and I look down ready to get shamed.

"You got grit, Brawns." He pats my arm.

"*clears throat* It's Barnes, sir." I correct sheepishly.

"Not with your character's strength. Good work you two." He nods walking away.

"Race you back, Brawns." Bucky teases and we both start to run.

"This is a dead end." I hear Natasha say snapping me out of my trance.

"Zero heat signature, zero waves, not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off." She continues and I see Steve looking ahead making me do the same.

"What is it?" Natasha asks looking between us as we walk over to the building.

"Army regulations forbid storing ammunition within 500 yards of the barracks. This building is in the wrong place." Steve explains.

I go and open the lock with my shield and we step inside. They turn on the lights we notice it's a SHIELD office.

"This is SHIELD." Natasha says looking around.

"Maybe where it started." Steve says as he also looks around.

We enter a room and see 4 old dusty framed portraits on the wall. Howard Stark, Colonel Phillips, and Peggy and, Emma Carter. Peggy's younger sister. When I see Emma's portrait, I don't know how to feel.