In the End...

So like most of my one shots are this is unedited, but I think the grammar is still alright-ish. As you might have read 'What Makes a Hero' (the next book of Pantomath!) is still in the works, but will be finished enough to start posting soon, so I figured why not post some of the scenes from Pantomath from other characters' perspectives? (I already had several short comments-to-self of different perspectives and scenes in my unpublished writing notes and stuff so it wasn't too much of a leap)

Anyway, I'm on like chapter fourteen for the next book so yay, and if you want more one shots like this one tell me and I'll make it happen.... eventually,

-T.A.L.A.

It wasn't with a sense of victory that All Might collapsed into the staff room's couch back at UA. No, he hadn't felt victory in the longest time, instead defeat greeted him after every hero job as he couldn't help but compare how he did to what he once could. The room was empty- the other teachers were busy no doubt helping shape the next generation of heroes, helping people- he let his head fall into his hands, bony fingers sliding gracelessly through his long, scraggly blond hair. He, after working so hard, after becoming one of the greatest heroes the world had ever known, was useless in what should have been the prime of his career.

Stopping five minor crimes in three hours? That was nothing. He could have done that just a few years into his career within minutes. He could have still made it to class on time- no, with time to spare. But now? Now he couldn't even accompany his class on their first off campus outing. Some 'symbol of peace' he was shaping up to be.

The once strong and unstoppable fingers that he had now grown to hate trembled from where they rested against his head, and he clamped down desperately to try and stop it. He needed to be strong. Unshakable. A pillar of support for the world. Even Nezu- one of the smartest people he knew- said it, if he were to quit and retire now; it would be a disaster. It was best if he slowly moved toward retirement. But as he was now he was still useless. It was- Painful. Torture. Frustrating. Enraging. Ironic. Crushing.- It was like losing Nana all over again. And there was nothing he or anyone else could do about it, no matter their strength or their skill or their number.

He wasn't sure how much time had past before he heard the alarm. Chaos erupted faintly from outside the halls and he reacted on instinct rushing out before his thoughts could catch up with him. He ignored the harsh tearing feeling in his side and the sudden feeling as if he couldn't breathe as he took on his hero form again. He had to be there to help. He had to.

Finding the other heroes and Nezu was easy enough, they had gathered outside the building surrounding one of class 1-A's students, Iida Tenya. Worry instantly bloomed within him as he heard the news. His class was trapped in the USJ with roughly eighty-six villains (he wasn't quite sure what to think of the overly specific number). The heroes fluttered around talking about how they should respond to any demands for ransom and preparing their gear to go in.

Too slow.

From what Iida had said there would be no ransom, the villains were aiming to kill. Finally the party started off and he knew right then at the pace they had set he wouldn't even be able to hold the form all the way to the USJ. A quiet word with Nezu and he was granted permission to rush ahead. And if he left out several key details then that was okay, his students needed him and at this rate the staff wouldn't reach them, his safety didn't matter, as he was now he couldn't do much anyway, but the students? The students were the hope for the future and he would protect them no matter the cost.

The door flew off its hinges underneath the full force of his rage crushing several villains and dragging them with it as it tumbled before splashing into the water. Momentarily the closest sounds of fighting stilled and eyes turned to him. But he had no time to wait around to make a grand speech or even to offer comfort. He could feel fierce, red hot strands of pain shooting up and down his side and chest. He didn't have long enough.

There were three masterminds for the attack it would seem. A red eyed, pale haired older teen, a muscular dark skinned, bald person with what almost looked like their brain showing, and a slightly shorter and unaware person who seemed older from their posture and the way they leaned slightly off what could be an old injury since none of them were fighting (or even in a fighting stance). The last would be their target- they decided this even as they were already racing towards the trio- if they were indeed older they would have more experience and as they were seemingly unaware, they had stilled but even now they were turning and would catch sight of the disturbance soon, it would be easier to bring them down with a single blow. The fighting had continued with his leap and he had to retaliate against several attacks as he went but none slowed him for even a second.

He didn't have time. Not to wait for the third to take notice, not to fight all three of them, probably not even to fight two, but he had to, for the future. In a last second twist that prevented the pale haired or muscular ones from offering any warning to them he switched paths and his fist made contact with the third sending the flying away. He didn't stop there, moving towards the pale haired one to attack too, only instead to be stopped by the muscular one. He braced himself for the fight.

It was only after that he learned who the third had been. That he had assumed wrong. He had attacked an innocent who was just trying to help. A small piece of him wondered: 'How innocent could he really be if he had knowledge of the attack. He had knowledge of this and where was he? He kept quiet until not even the last second, but after it had started! Wha-' He pushed the cruel thoughts aside. No. This happened because of his failures. He wouldn't- he couldn't-villainize someone just trying to do what was right over his weakness.

His fingers raked painfully through his hair as he struggled to get a grip- he needed- he should- he had to- he was- he needed to see the young informant who risked so much to help his class. That he had injured. It wouldn't be the first time a hero had mistakenly attacked an innocent Nezu had reminded him, it would be alright, Deku was a good person for an informant and understood how it looked. Nezu was sure of it. He couldn't let himself get too broken down by it. But he knew those were just words, empty, meaningless words that Nezu used to try and coax him to himself again. It wasn't the first time an innocent had been, directly or otherwise, caught in the crosshairs of an attack, but it was the first time it had been All Might's attack. The added guilt made his skin crawl.

This was what had made him drag himself from bed in the middle of the night and make his way to UA, each step seemed to take all his strength as he made his way up to the infirmary, each door he opened seemed to weigh a hundred thousand pounds. He stopped when he noticed faint light in the room where he had been told Deku was being kept. Then quiet voices whispered their way to him. He couldn't hear what was being said before there was rustling. More rustling. Some steps and then it dawned on him: someone was in there with there with Deku and he knew for sure it wasn't someone from UA, and Nezu wouldn't dare leave a stranger unaccompanied in the school especially after an attack.

       He hurried forward, his dread long forgotten, just in time to attract the attention of the small group of people, but not in time. He never had enough time anymore. All he could do was let out an alarmed shout as he leaped forward, arm outstretched. It went through thin air as they disappeared in a faint shimmer and there was nothing he could do. Weak.

      He was the pillar of peace, a great warrior for justice, a hero revered by most if not all... and there was nothing he could do.

      For in the end, he was only just a man, and there was only so much that he could do. No matter his seeming untouchable strength and prowess, in the end.... in the end he was only human. And there was nothing he could do.

All Might collapsed down to the medical ward's floor with a mighty sob. There was nothing he could do. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing... He might as well be quirkless again. Helpless. Weak. Useless. A stupid kid with an impossible dream.