Part 6

June 20, 2022

She eyed him with unyielding scrutiny, wondering if he really was an ally like he claimed to be.

"Are you sure that you would not give up on this, despite the coercions from the higher authorities?"

"Yes, I joined the Police Force to solve cases and actually help people. Why would I give up when I have both the will and the means to accomplish them? Trust me, I want to solve this case as much as you do, and that's why we need to stop Ms. Bhavani's mother from going to the press."

The sincerity lacing his tone persuaded Lekha, but Swadha continued to be plagued by second thoughts.

Lekha placed her hand on Swadha's stiff shoulder. "I think he is right, Swadha. If the media finds out we hid it for two months and the case remains unsolved, they will be after our blood, and they will fill our campus and hospitals with media personnel. It won't benefit us. And you never wanted this debacle to affect the care we give to the patients, and it would become tougher than ever to focus on that if the press hounds us." 

There was a moment of silence and then Swadha exhaled sharply, hoping she would not regret her decision in the future. She spared one last look to Vikrant, her gaze holding the words she did not say, that if it did not work out, she would hold him liable. "Okay, I guess," she said. "Let's go speak to aunty."

Swadha took the longest strides her feet would allow to reach the dean's Annexe with Vikrant and Lekha heeling her. She was about to enter the cabin when the dean's secretary stopped her. She informed them that the dean was engaged in another meeting.

Vikrant took the lead when he pulled his badge from his pocket and flashed it to the secretary. "DSP Vikrant. We really need to go in, ma'am. It is necessary for our investigation." The secretary conceded by nodding at him hesitantly. She stepped away from the door, allowing them to go in.

"Excuse me, sir!" said Vikrant and Swadha in unison, causing the occupants of the room to turn towards them.

"Officer? Swadha? What are you doing here?" The Dean gestured for them to walk in when he realized Lekha had accompanied them. Ramya  , Bhavani's mother, sat across the dean.

"Sir," Swadha started, keeping her tone respectful but firm. "I am told that aunty is going to the press regarding the case and we think it would be detrimental to our progress so we are here to convince her not to do it." She spared glances at Ramya as she spoke. Ramya's eyebrows contorted in rage. "So much has happened, and it has already been two months and these people can't find my daughter or anyone else! And you expect me to stay quiet about this? I expected better from you, Swadha!" Her indignation and dissatisfaction were blatant in her tone, as was her glare intended for the three of them.

"Ma'am, we are trying our best and we intend to find your daughter and the rest of the victims as soon as possible." Vikrant knew his words held no weight in front of the enraged mother, but he had to try nonetheless and had to be diplomatic, as was expected from him.

Ramya's lips twisted, and nostrils flared. "Such an original statement! I have been hearing this for weeks now! What do you even know till now?"

"We cannot give you the details, ma'am. There has been progress, and we have a few leads which we intend to pursue. I'm afraid that I cannot share any more information. But we are trying our best."

Swadha knelt in front of Ramya and looked straight into her eyes. "Aunty, do you really think that Bhavani will come back if you go to the media? No, she won't. Instead, all of us would come under tremendous pressure. The media will surround us and none of us will truly be able to help Bhavani or anyone else. The media will distract us from the issue at hand and from whatever bit of criminal psychology I know, this media exposure can boost the kidnapper's morale and he or she might become more careful and elusive than ever. We need this cover of uncertainty, aunty. It's fine if you don't trust the officers, but at least take my word for it. I want to find Bhavani as much as you do, and we will find everyone."

Swadha's words impressed Vikrant, and they all waited for Ramya's decision.

Ramya sat with a thoughtful frown on her forehead. She was not completely on board with the idea, but kept her feelings aside to see Swadha's point. She nodded, and the group sighed in relief.

Lekha placed her hand over Ramya's shoulder. "Yeah, aunty. Trust me, the press might even endanger Bhavani and others because the kidnapper might feel threatened by the exposure. So, it is in the best interests of everyone that we remain elusive."

Ramya looked at the officer. "Okay, but just because Swadha and Lekha convinced me. You better bring me my daughter back, officer!"

⨳     ⨳     ⨳

"What now?" Swadha asked Vikrant, easing the knots at the back of her neck, alternating between massaging and twisting her neck.

"I will tell my seniors that Mrs. Ramya has threatened to go to the press if we do not act wisely and promptly. That will scare them enough, and we will get back the resources we need. It has been thirteen days since the last kidnapping and we have not received another note."

"Looks like we just did," said Swadha, signing towards Abhimanyu, who had just walked in, holding a note placed inside a transparent zip lock cover.

"Goddamit," Vikrant cursed under his breath as he took the note and read it.

"You love to be haughty,

And we know you have been naughty,

Pride that you have and love that you lack,

Peaceless thou shalt remain."

⨳     ⨳     ⨳

"Did you leave the message for our dear bullish idealists?" asked the woman. The dark waves garlanding her face camouflaged her into the darkness while her hazel orbs gleamed under the dim light of the embers.

"Yes. They should find it any moment now," said John.

The woman hummed in reply.

"H-how can you be so sure that they won't be able to crack the riddle?" The quiver in his voice betrayed his emotions, and the shifting of his feet only intensified as her eyes narrowed at him. In a desperate attempt to placate her, he said, "S-She has solved the previous three riddles."

"That woman," spat the enraged woman, rising to her feet and taking predatory steps towards John, who stepped backwards. "That woman shuts down everyone who does not agree with her. And she believes far too much in patterns—the ones she thinks only she can see—to not let them slip, John."

"I-I see," he said, wetting his lips but finding his tongue dry.

"If I were you, I would refrain from singing praises of that woman and questioning me, John. Do you understand?" she asked, angling her head to the side.

Her menacing tone made shudders run down his spine. "Y-yes, yes, Namoweht. Pardon me for my insolence."