[08]

Her eyes opened. She was facing the window, the room peaceful, and Elvira couldn't find a reason for waking up other than that she had rested enough. The mattress was soft and she allowed herself a moment more in bed before she were to start with her day. The only sound was the one she could only identify as a person breathing. It was light, hardly noticeable, and at once, she felt a smile tugging at the corners of her lips. Slowly, she turned around, only to come face to face with Ian.

He was sleeping, his face a lot closer than she expected as he had surely inched closer to the middle of the mattress during the night, as had she. She was relieved she hadn't found him sleeping on the floor this morning, without any covers. The expression of his face was peaceful, his lips parted just slightly, his hair tousled. Her smile widened. She could get used to waking up in the morning and seeing him that way.

Elvira could have stayed in bed a lot more time, waiting for him to wake up, but she knew, in case he did wake up and noticed her staring at him, he would demand an explanation she couldn't really bring herself to tell him. With that thought in mind, she brought herself to look away and push herself up, making as little noise as possible. She was just about to leave the bed when his voice stopped her.

"Why the hurry?"

She froze at the sound of his voice, still laced with sleep. She turned her head to face him, only to realise his eyes were open, but that was the only difference she could detect in the last few seconds. She sent him a small smile.

"I'm not in a hurry. I only thought I should get dressed so we could start our day."

Ian let out a faint groan as he rolled to his back. "Do we have to?"

"Ian, we have a mission tonight," she reminded him gently but he only shook his head.

"In the afternoon, now it's morning."

"We need to have breakfast. Besides, you were the one who told Amy and Hamilton about spending time together at the arcade."

"Why didn't you stop me?" he moaned as he turned to face her. "Couldn't you understand that was a stupid idea?"

"Amy and Hamilton aren't half bad," she defended them as she stood up, making sure her nightgown that had been raised to her thighs fell on her knees once more as she headed to the bathroom. "Come on. We have a mission to accomplish."

"I should have picked someone who sleeps in."

"You couldn't have known I don't," she pointed out as she grabbed some casual clothes on her way to the bathroom. She had almost gotten inside when she stopped by the door and turned to face him. "Do you tend to sleep in, Ian?"

"Hardly ever. I'm usually working, holidays are rare."

"Yet another thing we have in common," she said in a cheerful tone as she got in the bathroom.

"I'd suggest we went on vacation together next time we have a time off but I don't like the idea of you waking me up early that much," his voice was heard through the door, and she promptly ignored the flutter in her chest at the thought he had sounded willing to spend time with her.

"I don't mind sleeping in when I'm on vacation," she called out in return, "but we aren't on vacation."

Ian only let out a faint groan as he closed his eyes. "If you so want to go on vacation with me just say so!"

Elvira only laughed from the bathroom and he couldn't help but let out a small sigh. Yes, he thought to himself, please say so, it would make everything so much easier.