Dear Jay Gatsby

P/N : Skip this if you do not want any spoilers for The Great Gatsby.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dear Jay Gatsby,

Hopeless, senseless, and mad lovers. That's what we are. Always giving our level best and putting all our soul and energy into pleasing one person. 

For you, it was Daisy. Just like a flickering light in the darkness she made her entry into your life. She made you want to be better. And like the mad fool you were, you dedicated your entire life into creating a fantasy and becoming royalty for a princess you only hoped you could have. She ran away from you after the war, that letter you wrote surely did break her heart but she didn't have the courage to call off her wedding. That should have been your first red flag Gatsby. 

Yet, you created a life for yourself, throwing flamboyant parties, hoping that she would one day turn up to your cheap ruses. And then you caught her, oh the fun you two had. One would think you were soulmates. Except one fatal flaw. The accident changes everything. You took the fall for her, yet she chose to leave you.

You dear friend were foolish enough to still have hopes that she would choose you, till the end of your time you held on to the green light of hope, flickering away in at the distance. You held onto your faith till your last breath. Unfortunately for us old friend, the ones we love always manage to slip away from our hands and never seem to give us the love we give to them. Don't mind me calling us foolish to play ourselves in this endless charade of love and deception.

Daisy left you just like he left me. Yet we still manage to hold on to this flame of hope, though a tiny part of ourselves are aware that it won't turn out the way we want it to. In the end it's always them over us and we're the ones left with the half-hearted apologies. So, thank you, dear Gatsby, for showing me that love truly is blind and making me realize that showering that unconditional love on someone who would never even try to reciprocate it proves fatal.

Take care in heaven.

Love,

An old friend.