Me Against the Law

The moon glistened. Shining brightly through the rusty old bars. I lay beaten, tortured and alone. Its dark, cold and silent here. I haven't seen a soul in 6 months. I start to doubt the life before this one. I crave a new one. One with deep concerntrations of freedom, pleasure and the serenity of touching her again.

7 months earlier... 

'Relax...calm down.' I thought.

Everyone looked at me now. Expecting.

Expecting what?

I wasn't quite sure. The truth, maybe? The crowd is big, but only on one side. The other side. The people on my side seemed agitated. They had better things to do. I have better things to do.

I shrugged it off.

I looked out the window. The noisy crowds outside gave me a headache.

"Would you like to answer my question now?" Mr. Jackson, the opposing lawyer, asked me. I shook my head and looked down rubbing my temples slowly. I closed my eyes.

I don't understand. Why is my case so famous? Of all the other cases in the world, why mine? It's all over the news, making headlines in newspapers and on every social media network created.

I am the enemy.

"Are you feeling ok?" Judge John asked me. I shook my head, pinching the bridge of my nose. "Judge, may we please postpone this court order please." Kyle asked, sounding sympathetic. 

The court meeting is postponed 30 days from now.

"Why do you always plan to get sick in times like these?!" Kyle asked me. We sat on the belcony at a coffee shop. I played with the salt shaker and admired the Eiffel Tower and the afternoon rush. "You know if you carry on with this behaviour in court we are going to lose." Kyle continued, "You know that right?" He asked me. I ignored him and leaned back on my chair. I put my hands behind my head. "Answer me, DeAndre!" He said now annoyed. "Yeah, yeah. I know. I'm just not in it today that's all." I told him.

Honestly I wasn't. I was sick and tired of being blamed for things I didn't do.

"I just need some time." I assured him. After that Kyle kept talking about something, I wasn't paying attention to.

That's when I'd seen her.

She was sitting inside the cafe at an angle that I could see her perfectly and she could see me. She had a black knee length dress. The material hugged her slender body. She wore black high heels that complimented her perfect legs. Her brown hair was tied up in a meesy bun. Her green eyes followed the words in her book and her perfectly glossy red lips mouthed the words from the famous bestseller, Wuthering Heights. I admired her for maybe a minute too long.

"Dee? What do you want?" Kyle asked me. I got knocked out of my daze, looking at the waiter chewing on a piece of bubblegum. She looked at me like she was undressing me with her eyes. "Coca-Cola, extra ice please." I said, looking at her quite disturbed. She winked at me and walked away chirply. Kyle looked disturbed as well.

Kyle looked at me. "Looks like you can't get the American out of you." He said, "Coke?! Seriously?!" He said. I looked at him and laughed. He carried on talking about something I didn't want to hear. So I carried on looking at the girl.

She looked very intrigued in her book. I kept staring at her. Maybe she'll look up. Her waiter came and put a cappacino next to her. He said something to her and she smiled and blushed. He walked away. She put her book down. And started drinking her cappacino. She looked around the room.

'Look at me.' I thought.

And just then. Like she had read my mind. She looked at me, smiling widely. I smile back and nodded my head. She nodded back at me. She smiled and looked down. She was so sexy. I waved at her. And she giggled covering her mouth. "Dee, are you listening to me?" Kyle broke me off our moment. "Er....yeah." I said. "What did I just say?" He asked me now, leaning back in his chair. "Er...when...our...err..." I stammered, "Ok maybe I wasn't listening." I admitted. Kyle sighed, "Where is your mind half the time DeAndre?!" He asked me.