Chapter 8

Alyssa slowly blinked her eyes open, trying to regain consciousness. She felt like she had a matching band playing in her head, and what little light there was brought a feeling of nauseousness to her stomach. Trying to figure out where she was, she slowly recalled what happened. The noises, the intruder, Kevin.

'Kevin!' she thought as she sat up, causing her head to spin slightly. She quickly looked around, trying to see if her deranged ex was lurking about. Was he still around? Where was she? Had he drugged her? Had he done anything else to her? If only she had some kind of idea what was going on.

Just as she was beginning to relax about him being gone, the door to the room opened, reveling a dirty mattress that she was currently sitting on, and one lonely chair in the dingy space. There wasn't even a light fixture. The little light illuminating the place came from the gaps around the door.

"Ah, I see you finally woke up. I was beginning to think I'd used to much chloroform," Kevin said as he entered the room.

"What do you want, Kevin?" She asked, trying not to let the fear she felt creeping up her spine leak into her voice. She knew it would only be more disastrous for her if he knew how much he scared her.

Looking at him now, she couldn't see what she had initially seen in the man. He was about five-ten, had muddy brown hair, brown eyes, and although he had muscles, he was not defined. Chubby cheeks, a squat forehead, and receding chin made him look more like a Neanderthal, instead of the charming ladies man he tried to portray.

"Why, Alyssa! I'm surprised you haven't figured it out by now. And you're supposed to be so smart. You are, after all, a teacher. Or are you only playing at being intelligent? Wouldn't really surprise me, if that's the case. You always were a cocky bitch that needed to be taught her lessons frequently," he sneered at her, trying to get her to choose before him like so many times before.

Instead of intimidating her like he'd hoped for, all Kevin had managed to do was severely anger Alyssa.

"What the fuck do you want, you asshole?" She screamed at him.

He lashed out so quickly, she didn't even see the blow coming.

"Don't yell at me like that, bitch! I'm the one in charge here, not you! You should feel grateful I'm giving you a second chance after you ran away like that. I should just punish you."

"Punish?" She laughed incredulously, still holding her cheek. She could taste blood in her mouth from where his slap had split her lip. "Don't you mean beat me up like always, you sick bastard! And i didn't run away. I left your ass. Get it right."

This time she expected the slap that stung her other cheek.

"Open your mouth again, and I'll be forced to put something in it, slut. You're mine. It's about time you learned the rules."

"Hey, Kevin. Fuck off. Your little dick couldn't satisfy me three years ago, and I doubt you've learned any new tricks since then," she taunted him. She knew eventually he'd snap, then his guard would be down. Hopefully then she'd be able to make her escape.

She braced her for the punch after seeing his nostrils flare because of her little dig. She was getting to him, and that made the pain that she was going through worth it. As she was stifling her cries of pain, she couldn't help but wish someone would find her.

'Declan,' she thought as she everything went black.

======================================================== Declan was going crazy. He could feel an immense sense of fear, but he didn't know where it was coming from.

Janice had confirmed what he'd already suspected. Kevin was Alyssa's ex boyfriend. He was completely obsessed with her, and she'd had to move from him to get away. She also suspected he was abusive to Alyssa, among other things. She didn't know for sure, since Alyssa never came out and said anything, but she wasn't exactly the same carefree and loving Alyssa everyone had known and loved.

Connor had reported that the door to Alyssa's apartment had been broken down and she was no where to be found. "Did you catch a scent?" Declan asked.

"Yes, sir. But there's something off. It's not quite human. Not were either. I'm thinking it's- vampire, maybe?" Conner relayed cautiously.

He knew Declan had met his soul mate, and he didn't want anything bad to happen to his friend. They had been best friends since his family had moved to Declan's hometown twenty years ago. He loved him as if he was a brother. He also knew the torment Declan was going through, since his girl had stayed behind to oversee the rest of the group's move once it was confirmed just who Alyssa was.

"Vampire? Are you sure? Our reports said this was unclaimed territory. Why would there be a vampire here?" Declan frowned at this new piece of the puzzle.

"I'm not sure, Dec. Maybe it followed someone here?" Connor suggested.

"Hmmm... maybe. Have you come across the scent be-"

*Declan*

Declan turned quickly to look around the room. 'That sounded like Alyssa', he thought. 'But it couldn't be, could it? We haven't even sealed our bond yet... unless she's in great pain...'

Connor watched his friend's face pale as if he finally came to s conclusion about some thing important, yet bad.