All Because of Her - [Irene]

The next day, my mother and I wait for Wendy outside the apartment building. I told her that Wendy's parents managed to buy back our apartment and make it look nicer. She was happier than ever. 

Even though I'd barely been gone for a morning, I had so much trouble sleeping. Before I met Wendy I could sleep peacefully throughout anything, but then I always needed to get at least one text from her to know she was there for me. I think she needed one from me, too, because she told me she always seemed to be able to fall asleep after talking to me. 

At the time I thought she said I was boring, and that's why I made her fall asleep, but now I know that it's because I clear her mind. And she clears mine, too.

We'd talk for almost an hour every night and that helped me sleep. It was even better having her right next to me in bed. We never did anything, and I didn't want to do anything. Just having her look at me fills me with happiness I can't describe.

Many people filmed the entire thing that happened at school and the incident was posted all over Instagram and Twitter. Even though Wendy agreed not to involve the police, they involved themselves after all the buzz on social media.

I told my mother about me and Wendy the other night, but she already seemed to know. I don't recall being nervous at all.

"Mom?" I said. "Can I talk to you?"

"Of course," she said. "What is it?"

"You know how at the hospital, you asked me if I wanted to tell you anything else about Wendy?" I asked.

"Yes," she said. "I do. Why, is there anything else about her that you'd like to share?"

I swallowed. "Um, well, you see..."

"I already know," she said. "I was thirsty so I went to get myself some water, and I saw you and Wendy together. It's okay, Irene. I support you."

I groan. "How many people saw us that day?"

"Don't be embarrassed about it," my mother said. "You shouldn't have to hide your feelings."

I looked at her. "Thank you."

She pulled me into a hug and that's the last thing I remember before falling asleep. Now we wait outside the building for Wendy. She arrives in no time and parks. She walks up to us, a huge smile on her face.

"I'll help you with these," Wendy takes my mother's suitcases and puts them in the trunk of the car. I help her put mine in the trunk, too. Our eyes lock so many times, and I just want to run up and kiss her but I can't right now. We need to focus on getting back home.

The car ride is quiet. Wendy plays a playlist from one of her favourite artists, and she queues a specific song after every other one. The song she queues continuously makes me feel happy. It relaxes me. I hear it playing in the background of every interaction I've had with Wendy until now.

When we get to our apartment, everything looks different. There's more furniture, the walls are painted nicely, there's a better TV, there's just everything. Before this, the walls were cracked, the only pieces of furniture were two chairs and a table for our kitchen along with an old TV from the 90s that didn't work.

I run to my bedroom. It's even better now, too. The walls are painted a nice pink, probably Jennie's choice, and the bed has a new cover. I jump on it. It feels soft and feathery. I can't believe that I'm going to be sleeping in this every day. My mother and I who could barely afford anything now get to experience this kind of luxury in our apartment.

Wendy joins me in my room. "Did you tell your mom?"

I nod. "She didn't care. What about you?"

"I told my dad," she sits down next to me. "I didn't tell my mom yet, though. It's going to be ugly."