An ancient city beneath the Ice

PERPETUAL RAIN FELL down the ancient streets of the ruins beneath the thick layer of ice with only a mile-wide hole to allow sunlight to pierce through the hazy darkness. In the only area where sunlight touched the ground, tents lay across and a stage was set in the center.

"Ten more whips..." Lowen Jaynes stood in front of a crowd—bathed in the miniscule sunlight—wearing a firm scowl on his face as the putrid scent of sweat and mud drifted to his nose. They need a bath. But considering they're nothing more than lowly insects...no, they still pale in comparison to those. They are Eligerians. The traitors who brought desolation to the world long ago—now they stand here defeated, enslaved.

The men and women in front of him wore nothing more than what could be called rags. Dirty and dark, a nice contrast to the seemingly regal and somewhat beauteous looks on their faces. Dark black hair and crimson eyes paired with pale white skin. They were devils, devils through and through.

"Halt!" Lowen exclaimed stopping the slave-master's whip before it came crashing down on the man prostrated in front of him. "Reynauld, you can take a rest for now."

"Yes, my lord." The slave-master took the whip and ran down the wooden stage.

"Remember your place!" His leather boots came crashing upon the man's head, and with a loud thud it slammed upon the floor breaking the neck of the slave. Lowen was revolted, the stink and stains upon his boot would surely take ages to clean off. But he had to make an example. Show them fear.

"The Immortal Emperor has mandated eternal servitude of your kind to mine! This is to pay for the crimes of the people who came before you...you are to pay the price of opposing his ascension, and we will make sure that you all do!" Lowen looked at the men holding ornate rifles—his prized possessions—and nodded. "Kill the rest of the rebel scum that you found."

Six more men were dragged in front of the crying crowd. Cowering before their lord.

Yes, fear me.

Lowen smiled as the six men fell in unison, blood spilling out of their lifeless bodies. This wasn't the end however; six more men were brought in suffering the same fate as the men before. Lowen's smile grew even wider. Only the blood of the dead could cure the lingering stench that filled the air around him.

Another six men fell.

Their muddy clothes and blood stained the wooden floorboards of the stage Lowen had ordered to shove the thought right inside their puny minds.

Know your place.

A girl pushed past the crowds, shoving people aside with her slender arms. She fell to her knees in front of one of the men who are about to be executed. Glistening tears slid down her porcelain white cheeks. The girl was barely of age, only at the cusp of womanhood. Yet...

Ripe enough... Lowen thought, licking his upper lip as he gave the girl another scan.

Her flowing dark hair was thick, most noblewomen would kill in order to have that. Her soft facial features were alluring. Those red eyes she has are the perfect shade of lovely crimson.

"Please, spare my father! I'll do anyth—"

"Anything, you say?" Lowen didn't even attempt to hide his smile.

"No! Kallen! You don't have t—"

"Take her away." Lowen ordered the soldiers behind him. "Give her a proper bath and have the dressers pretty her up...I'll have a fine dinner tonight."

"Kallen!" The father stood up and ran towards her daughter.

How emotional...

Bang.