Chapter 6: Dolce Vita

───── ⋆⋅🍨⋅⋆ ─────

There is a reason I said I'd be happy alone. It wasn't because I would be happy alone. It was because I thought if I loved someone and then it fell apart, I might not make it. It's easier to be alone. Because what if you learn that you need love? And then you don't have it...

We pulled up to the cafe. I turned off the engine. "Are you sure we can go in?" He asked as we got out of the car.

"Yeah why?" I asked. He looked at me and pointed to the window.

"It's closed." He said. I smiled and took some keys out. I pressed the key inside the lock and turned. I opened the door and we walked in.

"Oh does you mom own the place or?" He asked curiously.

"No it's mine, my mom used to work it but she passed it down to me so I could earn some money and do something fun. She has a job in the hospital." I said. "Could you get the light?" I asked as I walked behind the counter. He nodded and turned the light on.

"That's great. Now that school is in do you open or just during summer." He asked.

"I think I'll open after school everyday, or maybe I'll see if someone wants to work here during the day." I said. He smiled.

"What do you want?" I asked as I turned on the coffee machine.

"I'll have a chocolate shake." He said. I nodded and made his shake as the water boiled for my coffee.

"Do you want anything? I have pie, cookies, brownies, I don't have chocolate cake but I could make some." I said.

"Yeah I'd like chocolate cake. Do you make it from scratch or from the box?" He asked.

I motioned for him to follow me to the back where the kitchen is. "I make the cake from scratch." I said as I opened a book and showed him the recipe I follow.

"That sounds great, I've never heard about making it this way, could I help?" He asked. I nodded my head as I took some ingredients out. We began making the cake.

~

"So tell me, are you going to homecoming?" He asked as he closed his math book. We had just finished  with his work and we were just waiting for the cake to be done.

"No I don't think so." I said as shook my head.

"Oh man why not?" He asked. I took a sip of my coffee and saw the lipstick stain on the rim.

"I'm not really the type to party if I'm being honest, and all my friends either already have dates or know who they want to ask. And I don't feel like wheeling." I said. He nodded, in sign that he understood.

"I might go with my friends but I'm not sure," he said.

Before I said anything else, the oven beeped. "It's ready." I said as I got up and pulled it out of the oven. I took the cake out of the mold and placed it on a rack.

"That smells good!" He noticed as he sat on a bar stool. I cut a slice for me and another one for him. "I don't know what we'll do with all this cake." I said.

"You should take it home." He said taking a bite.

"I would." I said. "If my family liked chocolate cake." I added

His eyes went wide. "Are you tellin' me your family doesn't like this cake?" He asked. I nodded as I laughed. "Neither does my mom." He said shaking his head.

"How could they not. This is the best cake." I said taking another bite. We laughed and ended up locking eyes. I have a lot in common with this guy. He's funny and he's smart, and he's really shy.

"You should take it to my friends. Unless you don't want to of course." He said.

"No it's good, we can go after and then I can drop you off at your house." I said.

"No need you can leave me at their house I'll head home later." He said. I nodded.

We got our and drove to his friends house, with him giving me directions as I drove.

I liked this feeling. This feeling of having in common with someone like Steve. But, what if you like it? The feeling. And lean on it? What if you shape your life around it? And then it fallas apart? Can you survive that kind of pain? Loosing love is like organ damage. It's like dying. The only difference is, death ends. This feeling? Could go on forever...

[inspired by Meredith Grey]