Chapter 10: 𝐅𝐨𝐨𝐭𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐆𝐚𝐦𝐞

───── ⋆⋅🍨⋅⋆ ─────

Sometimes we don't acknowledge that we or someone said something wrong. We don't like to know that we messed up and did something wrong. It's not our nature to know we messed up. We don't like to admit it. It's a big pill to swallow. Apologizing takes a lot. You have to mean it. But sometimes, no matter how hard we try, it's still not enough...

We got on the bleachers and cheered as the football game began. The sun was setting and there was a soft breeze. I stood next to Steve and Meredith stood next to me, with Sodapop on her left. We got through halftime when I noticed Steve was serious. We talked through the first two quarters and he seemed fine. But now, he seems off. "Hey are you okay?" I asked as I turned to him. He looked at me and nodded. I sighed. "Come on let's go for a walk," I said as I grabbed his hand. I turned and told Meredith that we would be back before the game ended.

Steve and I walked out of the school and we were silent. "What's wrong?" I asked. He sighed letting go of my hand.

"I just don't know if you're okay with being seen with me. I mean Meredith should be okay, she's with Sodapop and he's-"

"Is this about what happened earlier today on the phone with Margo and Laura?" I asked as I looked at him. He looked at me and said nothing. "I'm so sorry. They're like that. They always shoot down anyone they don't see attractive. They don't know how to admire the true colors of someone." I said. He looked at me.

"I wouldn't think you would like guys like me you know, I would imagine you to want to hang out with someone like Sodapop or Dallas, you know, guys that are attractive..." he said. I looked at him and stoped infront of him.

"You are attractive. You're hot. But you're also more than that. You're sweet and smart, and funny. And you're a guy any girl wants. You have beautiful eyes that sparkle in the sunlight. Eyes that could trap anyone in there. Eyes that could make you think of at any time. Eyes that could make any girl fall in love. And when a girl looks for a guy, they look at the ones that are gentlemen, sweet guys that know what they want in the future. You're that guy. You probably have a line of girls waiting for you to pick one. You just don't know." I said as I looked at his face, he pushed a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Are you one of those girls?" He smirked. I looked and him and gasped.

"Oh shut up." I said as I playfully slapped his chest and smiled. He grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers. It was dark and the football game was over by the time we made our way back. We got back in the car and headed to the dingo. We all got milkshakes, Steve gave me his jacket he was wearing. I smiled and thanked him. I saw Meredith and Sodapop laughing and smiling. They seemed happy. And if they were to get together, I wouldn't mind. Sodapop seems like a genuine nice guy who has been through a lot.

-
It was ten fifty when we headed home. I tried to take Steve's jacked off when he stopped me. "No, keep it, I have an extra one at home." He said.

I smiled and leaned in. "Thank you for today". I said. He nodded and smiled. And out of impulse, I kissed his cheek. Again. I smiled and so did he and I got out. Mer calling behind me.

"I'm coming!" I yelled. "Bye!" I added as I got out.

"Bye! Meredith yelled.

"Bye!" Both Steve and Sodapop said.

I smiled and opened the door and we both walked inside.

Leo walked down the stairs. "Who's jacket is that?" He asked smirking.

"A friend's." I said as Mer and I grabbed a coke from the fridge. He looked at me.

"A friends huh?"he said. "And who exactly is this 'friend'?" He said using his fingers to quote the word "friends".

"He's just a guy from school who has a friend and invited me and Meredith to the school football game. That's all." I said as I walked passed him.

"Oh sure." He said. I gasped and laughed. I'm sure my parents were asleep. Mer and I walked into my room and we took turns going to the bathroom and changing our clothes. Once we got back to the room we played the record player quietly as we talked about today.

"What happened with Sodapop?" I asked smiling.

"He's a really sweet guy. You know, he complemented me a lot but I don't know if he meant it. I mean he just broke up with his girlfriend and he really liked her." She said. I sighed. "What about Steve. Why did you guys leave?" She asked. Then she gasped. "Did you guys make out!?" She asked whisper yelling.

"No! I just talked to him. He seemed off and when I asked him he wouldn't answer. He simply said he thought I would like to hang out with someone like Sodapop, that's attractive. Then I figured I it was about what Margo and Laura said. He heard them. I told him that he was attractive but he was also more than just that. And we walked back." I said.

"And?" Mer asked.

"And what?" I answerd.

"Do you find him attractive?" She asked.

I looked at her. And sighed.

"I'd be lying if I said no." I said smiling.

The phone rang and I went to pick up. "Hello?" I asked. 

"Hello?" It was Margo.

"What's up?" I asked softly.

"I'm sorry about what I said, and I hope we can still be friends." She said.

I sighed. "I'm not the one you should be apologizing to." I said and hung up.

Often times  we apologize. And often times the wound isn't deep. So it's easy to forgive. But sometimes the wound is too deep. It's cut deep and caused damage. It sometimes can be irreplaceable damage. And when it is, a sorry isn't enough. You need to show someone you are truly sorry. That you feel bad. Because you should. Hurting someone's feelings is not okay. And they don't deserve it. Most of the time, we hurt people without knowing. And when we realize the pain and trouble we caused, it can generally, sometimes. Just sometimes. Just be too late to forgive.