Daniel (Chapter 1 of 6)

CHAPTER 1- DANIEL
“Hey mom, I’m thinking about playing the trumpet,” said Daniel to this mother as he flicked his curly dark hair from his face.
“Why would you when you already play seven?”
“Because the piano, drums, guitar, violin, cello, harp and flute are just for fun.”
“Okay whatever you want.”
“One more thing.”
“Go ahead.’
“I’m asking your permission to dance at a house concert at school on Friday.”
‘Let me guess, hip hop and jirating music?”
“Just Hip Hop.”
“We’re Christians Daniel, no way.”
“You never let me do anything I want!”
“I’m protecting you”
“I don’t need your protection, I’m seventeen!”
“Don’t raise your voice on your mother,” his dad came in and said with anger blazing in his eyes.
“I HATE YOU!” he shouted as he stormed up the stairs to his room.
His father looked at him in disbelief. is that boy really my son, he wondered.

It was Tuesday morning, the tenth of September and the sun was shining brightly at the Ohareas mansion. Mrs. Oharea sat in the couch with tears streaming down her face. She was very hurt about what her one and only son had said to her. Mr. Oharea brought her some water to calm her down. She didn’t want Daniel to dance to hip hop nor reggae because she thought it would be bad for his image. However if it was gospel music she would definitely approved. Five minutes later, Daniel came hopping down the stairs. He apologized to his parents for his behavior earlier and told them goodbye.
“The Lord be with you my son,” said Mrs. Oharea with a
bright smile on her face.
His father nodded his head and continued reading his book, Brother; I’m, Dying by Edwidge Danticat. Daniel walked out the front door and got on the bus. He sat beside his best friend, Jabari Parks, who he sometimes teases about his long braids that he wears to school. It doesn’t really bother him as he likes to be known as a misfit.
“Hey, what’s up man?” said worriedly.
“Hey Jab, I don’t think I’m going to be dancing on Friday.”
“You can’t back down now.”
“I’m not backing down.”
“And you’re leading us.”
“I know.”
Mary and Maria turned and looked at them. There was one minute of awkward silence until they turned back around.
“Now, why can’t you perform?” asked Jabari.
“My parents won’t let me.”
“Tell them God will be there in front row,” said Jabari with a grin.
“Don’t you dare mock God, apologize now,” said Daniel with a stern look on his face.
“I’m sorry God,” Jabari said as he closed his eyes.