War

Mpenzi

We hear the hyenas before we see them, their ghoulish cackling echoing around the grasses. Askari sits up, ears twitching, scanning the horizon. You don't have to have the keenest of sight to see them, circling Pride Rock, laughing hysterically as the lionesses gather around the royals, growling. We run towards them, only to be met by snarls from the other lions. Askari looks at me, worry etched into the lines of his face. A scarred female stalks before the hyenas, and what I see makes me gasp. Behind her, is Swala, circled by hyenas, who tease her by snapping at her ankles as she tries to avoid their claws and teeth. 

"Let her go now," Kovu commands, through gritted teeth. 

The female ignores him, and turns to walk towards me and Skari. 

"Askari."

He flinches at the mention of his name, but does not display any aggression towards the female. 

"I was just telling your new friends about your mother."

"You are my mother."

She laughs, shaking her head.

"Your mother is related to the royals. You were, in fact, first in line, before this Kiara brat."

Kovu growls, teeth snapping together, tail flicking from one side to another. 

"Leave, now."

She shakes her head again, "Well, the throne can't really be left in the hands of these fake rulers, so keep things simple, and definitely much less painful for the young princess here," she gestures to Swala, face tear stained and breathing heavily. "I would suggest that all these so called 'royals' be exiled, and never be allowed to step into the pridelands again."

"No," says Askari, nearing her, growling, claws sinking into the dust with every step.

"Come on, young cub, we know that you wish to lead, and with me and the hyenas, you would be stronger than any of Mufasa's descendants."

"No," he repeats, narrowing his eyes.

"Stop me."

He lifts a paw to his throat, claws grazing his skin.

"W-what are you doing?"

"Leave," he repeats, and digs the claws a little deeper into his skin, wincing.

"What are you doing!?"

"Leave, and never come back, or I will kill myself, and you won't be able to use me to get to the throne."

"Think of the power, Askari, it would be endless!"

Blood starts to drip through his mane and onto the ground, and the female stops smiling.

"Leave, now, or I swear I will rip out my own throat."

"Then let us make a deal, Askari!"

The other lionesses tense, but the uneasy looks on their faces suggest they didn't know any more than me. 

"What?"

"We will leave you and this pride as long as we get to take the young princess with us."

"No," snarls Kiara, stepping closer to the female, so she stands right in her face. The lionesses step closer with her, surrounding her. 

"Let her go, and send away the hyenas, otherwise you will die."

"You will have to kill me first."

"It doesn't have to be like this," says Nala, stepping forward. 

"Oh no, Nala," she sneers. "It does."

She flicks her paw at the hyenas, who begin to strut closer to Swala, one nipping at her tail, to be rewarded with a yelp from the princess. 

I glance over my shoulder, to see Rafiki, a flaming stick in one hand. He raises a finger to his lips, and smiles. I take a deep breath and nod, before turning back to the pride. Kovu seems to have noticed as well, because he signals for the lionesses to step back. They do, and the lioness retreats back into the line of hyenas. 

And then It happens, Swala leaping forwards just as a line of fire ignites between the lions and hyenas, sending them running, tails between their legs. The female cries out in pain as her fur ignites, the smell of burnt flesh filling the air.