Chapter 1

He had it all.

Everything Ardyn desired, he had taken with his own hands.

The man once denied his right was now King. The Chosen, the pathetic champion of the Gods, had been defeated. Ardyn's younger brother, that naive child, had been punished. The Gods themselves could do naught against the man they named the Accursed. No, they had even allowed this to happen, even made it so with their own power. They hadn't a choice in this matter.

Ardyn, the Immortal King of Lucis, had obtained his every desire.

However... Why was it that he was not happy?

The Accursed glanced over at his brother. The dark-haired man sat on his bed, propped up against the wall. The man was still but for the occasion blinking of his eyes and the steady movement of his chest from his breathing. His eyes were glassy, devoid of any sort of awareness. He gazed ahead of him without so much as a hint of movement.

Ardyn got up from the sofa he'd been sitting on and walked over to his brother. He took hold of his face, tilted it up so Somnus looked up at him. The elder brother searched for any sign of awareness in the younger's blue eyes. That maybe Somnus would recognize Ardyn, that he could understand where he was, that he would snap out of whatever this was.

But there was nothing.

Somnus just stared back and blinked.

"You've ruined it," Ardyn sighed as he let go of his brother. There was no anger, just a heavy bitterness in his voice. "The revenge I had planned. You've gone and ruined it all."

**********

The Gods and Crystal at his mercy, the Chosen kneeling in his defeat, Ardyn gleefully demanded everything owed to him.

The Gods relented. Their only other option was to allow the world to suffer in eternal darkness. They gave the Accursed all he asked for, using up their powers in the process. After returning the world to a state 2000 years ago, they retreated into slumber far away from his grasp. This allowed Ardyn free reign to do as he wished. None could hope to stand against him.

Ardyn took the throne as the first King of Lucis. He was the Founder this time. As the man was still infected by the Starscourge, he could not use the power of the Crystal or Ring. That did not matter however as the disease in his body allowed him power far greater than most Kings of Lucis could ever hope to imagine. He was more powerful than the so-called Gods.

Noctis, the failed Chosen, had been thrown back into the Crystal where he would remain. Ardyn then locked both the Ring and Crystal in the depths of the Citadel, surrounding them with a corrupted barrier. No one would be able to near them, not until he wished for it to be so.

The Accursed felt the Crystal's cleansing power but it was a mild annoyance. Though the stone was still full with the energy of over a hundred of the Lucis Caelum bloodline, it would not be given the chance to use that power. Not for some time anyway, whenever Ardyn saw fit to allow it as he'd given the Gods no time frame. He might one day grow bored of this world, but that may be long into the future. The man planned on enjoying the fruits of his labour for as long as he could.

Ardyn had been delighted that he now had the ability to do to Somnus as his brother had done to him. He wished for him too, to suffer alone in the darkness. To spend 2000 years in with nothing but despair, anger and loneliness as his company.

And so the Accursed imprisoned Somnus within Angelguard as he had once been. His brother was 'gifted' with immortality by the Gods, something Ardyn ordered them to do as well as returning him to his human form. His younger brother had then been infected with the Starscourge. Somnus was to spend as long as Ardyn had in that prison. His brother would know in his imprisonment that his choice in savior had failed; that the last of his blood had been worthless.