Prologue (Natasha Summerville)

"I have good news and bad news, which do you want to hear first?" Amelia Summerville told her daughter as she walked through the door. Natasha Summerville pretended to consider this as she faux-glared at her mother.

"Hm...bad?"

Mrs. Summerville shook her head.

"How did I not guess? Okay, there's no bad news."

Natasha narrowed her eyes.

"Okay, so what's the good news then?" She walked over to a chair and set her backpack down. "Unless there's no good news, either?"

"Oh no, there is good news. I got you a new extracurricular that will look great on your college applications," Natasha's mother informed her, closing the door. Natasha groaned.

"But Mom, I can't-"

"Relax. You're going to like this," Mrs. Summerville told her.

"Mm-hm." Natasha started taking off her shoes.

"We're hosting an exchange student!"

"What?" Natasha's head jerked up. She was sure she'd heard her mother wrong. Natasha had asked to before, but Mrs. Summerville had always told her that Natasha was a hassle enough herself and no way did she want to be responsible for another child. "You're not serious!"

"Oh yes I am." Mrs. Summerville handed her daughter a folder. "Her name is Amethyst Wishbone and she hails from the small town of Winterfield."

"Will she be okay in the big city?" Natasha asked worriedly.

"She'll be just fine. And for this, I'm letting you quit one activity."

"Really?" Natasha cried excitedly.

"Yup. This will look excellent on your resume. So what will it be? Basketball?"

"For sure," Natasha agreed.

"Done. Now go prep your room. If she complains it'll ruin your reputation."

"Wait!"

"Yes?" Natasha's mother turned around.

"When is she arriving?"

Mrs. Summerville consulted her own folder.

"Tomorrow at noon."

And with that, she walked away, leaving Natasha alone with an evening of homework, organizing, and worrying.

What do you all think about Natasha so far? Head to the next chapter for a peek into Amethyst's life!

xoxo,

writesthetic