01. Lemurian

Disclaimer: I do not own anything belonging to Marvel Studios or the Marvel Cinematic Universe. All characters, plotlines and other material belong solely to Marvel; however, I will take credit for any original characters and original, alternative storylines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~2014~

"You know, you should really keep an eye out for your ass. I might not be here one of these days to save it." Alina motioned to the body slumped at her feet.

"If he had gotten to it before I got him, do you think it'd be considered pirated?" Steve shook his head at those words.

"You wanna refrain on discussing my rear end in public?" He heard her laugh behind him.

"Oh come on, doesn't it just take away all the tension though? You've really got to ease up, Steve." She moves to unlatch one of the holsters at her thigh and slides the pistol back in.

Steve's eyes were narrowed as he scanned the surrounding area of the deck; he was pretty sure they had gotten all the outside security down...

They both spun around at the sound of a gunshot behind them to see Rumlow had taken down an overlooked pirate. Steve shot a look at Alina, eyebrows raised.

"Ease up? And thanks," he shot a grateful look to Rumlow.

"Yeah. You seemed pretty helpless without me." Rumlow moves to scour the rest of the deck.

"Oh he was, Brock. He'd never admit it, though" Alina laughed again. She looked up as several other agents descended from the chopper overhead.

"Looks like you just missed out on all the fun, Tasha." She grinned at her fellow agent, who didn't hesitate to send back a grin of her own.

"Aww, you didn't even leave me one?" Alina shook her head, a mock expression on her face. Unlatching the parachute from her suit, Natasha made her way over to the two; she didn't hesitate to continue the conversation they had left off on before Steve had thrown himself off the chopper and Alina had followed. So, she was a bit impulsive.

"What about the nurse that lives across the hall from you? She seems kind of nice."

"Secure the engine room, then find me a date."

"I'm multi-tasking." Alina glanced back to see Natasha slip over the rails before jogging to catch up with Steve.

"You know, she's got a point. You won't be young forever."

"I never said I was. And Brock?"

"Hey, we're all people here. Agents have first names too, Steve. And I know. Just...clarifying." She winks up at him before detaching both pistols from their holsters and leaping down to the main deck.

"See you in five." Steve hears her through his comm and sends a short huff of a laugh back.

--

Alina had just finished locking down the ship's cargo hold when she heard the explosion. So much for undercover. She made her way up to the main deck, thankful not to have encountered any more pirates heading back. Personally, she wasn't much in the mood to encounter any more pirates tonight. Earlier she had been jabbed in the crotch by one (a favor she gladly returned); she was by no means a stranger to pain, but it had still hurt. Glancing around, she noticed the deck was mostly empty, save for a few agents that had stayed as lookout while they completed the mission. She lifted a hand to adjust the comm placed in her ear.

"Anyone hear me? Steve, Natasha?" She was met with nothing but faint static.

"Dammit."

"Benek. I'm here. We're all good, but there's been trouble with some of the comms." Alina almost sinks to the floor in relief.

"Brock, thank god. I thought something had happened."

"Oh, something happened all right. I don't think this is a covert mission anymore." Rounding the corner, Alina can easily see why. One of the control rooms has smoke issuing out the windows and broken glass is scattered around the area.

"Right. Well, my part is done. I'll see you at the landing pad." She's met with little more than a grunt that lets her know she's been heard.

--

The chopper doesn't touch ground for long, giving Alina just enough time to grasp one of the railings and practically roll herself in. Steve extends a hand and she is very much grateful when he pulls her the rest of the way to her feet. She leans against the inner wall of the chopper which, other than the sound of the blades overhead, is strangely silent. No one sems to be making any attempts at conversing, but especially not Steve. He's standing across from her with his arms crossed and a glare directed at Natasha, who sits quietly rubbing her wrist every now and then. A few more agents are either standing or sitting down closer to the back. Alina decides to break the silence.

"So, anyone catch the fireworks-gone-wrong smoke? Looked pretty impressive by the time I caught a view." She unzips a pocket of her vest and draws out a packet of starburst.

'Want one?" She gestures towards Natasha and then Steve; the latter meeting her smile with an unimpressed look. Natasha sends a small smile her way, though.

"I'll have one." Alina happily passes the wrapped stack her way after grabbing one from the top. She hadn't even finished her first one before hearing a huff across from her.

Steve held a reluctant hand out towards Natasha, who grinned at seeing his exasperation.

"You sure you want one? You seemed pretty off just a little bit ago. Not a good mood for candy, was it?" Alina had to work especially hard to hide the snort that threatened to escape her.

"Pass the goddamn candy, Natasha."