Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Fred had settled in to the bar. He worked nights, and FP took him home after. He got up early for workouts, and stayed after for practice. His only free time was during weekend days, but he'd been looking for a job to earn some money.

FP was still stuck between his trailer and the bar. Sadly, both involved his dad. He was constantly coming to school bruised. But it didn't stop him from fighting serpents who started picking on Fred.

Fred always offered to let FP stay the night. Even when he said no, Fred made dinner for him most nights. He found a job at a construction site, moving rocks on weekends. He was worn down and exhausted, but he pushed through.

FP occasionally talked to Fred in school. He could see that everything was taking a toll on him....

Fred liked talking to FP. He was nice... He tried not to let him know how exhausted he was.

FP could tell. So he hung back after morning workouts.

Fred leaned against the wall as he showered off in the locker room. He hadn't been able to sleep at all last night... He just wanted to close his eyes for five minutes...

FP frowned. He'd been in there a long time, "Andrews...?"

Fred blinked and opened his eyes. He turned off the shower and grabbed his towel. "Yeah?"

"You alright in there?" FP asked.

Fred wrapped the towel around his waist and stepped out. "Yeah."

FP paused for a moment, trying not  to let his eyes wander too much. "You look shitty."

Fred took a breath and grabbed his clothes. "Couldn't sleep."

FP frowned, "For the past week and a half?"

Fred turned slightly and got dressed. "Yeah..."

FP didn't know why he was staring. He blushed lightly and shifted, "You need a break."

Fred ruffled his hair with the towel once he was dressed. "I'm fine..."

"Whoa," FP gently held his shoulders when the other boy swayed slightly, "You need to sit down. You're gonna pass out, Andrews."

Fred blinked and looked at him. "I'm fine."

"Seriously, skip today," FP insisted.

Fred shook his head. "I can't."

"I'll talk to my dad maybe he can give you a night off or something," FP said

"Don't," Fred insisted. "The sooner I pay off the debt, the better."

"You're running yourself into the ground," FP frowned, "This is ridiculous, Fred."

Fred took a deep breath. "I'm fine."

FP glared at him for a moment, "Come on, you need to sleep."

"I can't go home," Fred insisted.

"Why not?" FP asked.

Fred ducked his head. "My dad's home... I can't... stress him out any more..."

FP frowned, "Fine, then we'll go to my place."

"No offense," Fred said, "but I really don't feel like dealing with your dad, either."

"He's out doing serpent business all day, he told me last night," FP said.

Fred shook his head. "I should get to class... we both should."

FP looked at him, "Fred..."

Fred grabbed his backpack.