story one

Authors' note

I need to warn you, before you read further, something isn't right about this story. It won't let me tell you what, and with every sentence you read, this thing gets stronger. So, I need to tell you now, while I still have the strength to do so. I didn't want to write this story, but it made me do it, and for this I must apologize. Please turn back, put this story down, I can't stop it anymore, it won't go away. The story is more than a story, I swear it has a life of its own.I would tell you to stop reading this story, but I can't, because it's far too good of a read. So please, disregard what I just wrote and enjoy.

Chapter One

It was a cold soppy day, like any other in the small crappy town I grew up in. Nothing really happens in my town, and there's never much to do, but if you're anything like me, the library was always the place to go for some quality entertainment. My library was an old one, and by old I mean ancient, it dates back to the 1900's when libraries were just being born into existence. Of course the building itself has been repaired so many times before, I doubt any of the old structure remains.

With nothing much going on in my town, while other kids my age were out hanging with their friends, I was in the library, scouring the shelves for new books I haven't yet read. I was such an avid reader, that I had read almost every book this library had to offer, even the books I shouldn't have read for someone of my age. But, I've always been mature for my age, appearing even decades older than what I was, this was always something people found odd about me. I never let it phase me when adults were dumbfounded by my knowledge, the way I presented myself or how I acted and spoke in a manner of that of the good old days.

My life changed, or I should say, my perspective shifted a full 360 when I stumbled upon a section of the library I had never seen before. I found it in the basement, down a long dimly lit hallway and through a door on the left. At the entrance a sign read 'Restricted from public access' and underneath a letter stating that this was off limits to the public. This was strange, what library had a section of books that no one was allowed to read? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

I looked around, no security cameras were evident, and everything was eerily silent, not even the whirring of the air ventilation system was heard. Of course my curiosity got the better of me, and to this day I regret it.

I shouldn't have read those books, much less picked up those cursed things. Please, if you're reading this, don't be like me. I can't stop writing, it won't let me stop. The story doesn't end with me.

Of course my curiosity got the best of me, and to this day I do not regret a thing. I looked down the hallway, making sure the coast was clear so I wouldn't get caught. I'll admit, I was uneasy at first, I had never done anything remotely bad, and this felt like something you could get kicked out for. Regardless, I entered and found a gold mine of glorious books, rows and rows of books waiting to be read, stories waiting to come to life, waiting to be released into the minds of anyone who was willing to spend time with them. As I crept around, the air felt cold, unnervingly so, and frankly, next time I would have to bring a sweater so I could read in comfort. I scanned the shelves, these books were not quite like any I have seen, perhaps they were original copies. Each was a leather bound book embroidered with gold and silver, some were brown leather, some were black, but one large book bound in a burgundy red stood out to me.

I shouldn't have read it, but I did and now it lives within my mind, it wont get out. I was doomed the moment I read the first sentence.

I felt a weird mix of excitement and nerves flutter in my chest, as if this book held some malicious secret, something waiting to be unleashed into the universe. The moment my finger glided along the spine, I felt a buzz of electricity shoot through my arm and down my spine. I recoiled and took a step back, bumping into the rack of books behind me with a loud thud that reverberated into the hall. My heart rate pounded and then I heard footsteps coming from down the hall. I froze unsure of what to do, the footsteps got closer and quicker, and the room suddenly felt colder, frigid so much so my breath began to puff out in white wisps. I ducked around another shelf and hid, out of sight from the door. The footsteps paused outside the door, the doorknob jiggled, and then a woman called out and I let out a breath of relief as the footsteps continued back from where they came.