Bonus: Quarantine

Quarantine content because I miss writing. I haven't written in a while, months actually. I cry about that sometimes. I usually don't like when authors update books after a few years with tons of bonus content, it sort of just feels like an attempt to stay relevant and a refusal to move on, but here I am...

»«

Jughead stared out of the window of his home office, watching the snow whirl around in pretty patterns, its presence light and its impact heavy. The blinding white light poured into every crevice of the room, making the blue walls feel more cold and lonely than usual.

The apartment always felt that way, when Archie wasn't there.

With a sigh, Jughead ventured closer to the window, sitting in the little nook that'd since been decorated with pillows and blankets that kept the cold of the wood from seeping into his skin. It took months to settle down on an apartment. Jughead wouldn't even look at one that didn't contain anything resembling the window seat that comforted him in his own bedroom. Archie was more obsessed with practical adult things, like parking spaces, heating, amenities, you know, all the boring stuff.

This one was pricier than they'd planned, and further away from family than they planned, but when they stumbled across the little complex, with its towering arches, brick paths, and light green exterior, they knew it was perfect. Cozy, inside and out. The kitchen was small, but all of the appliances were up to date, and a little wrap around bar with plenty of seating separated it from the living room, which was warm with orange walls and a squeaky couch they'd thrifted with throws. Books laid across their coffee table, along with scribbled lists and cups Jughead never put away. The shelves that lined the wall by the electric fireplace were overflowing with books, and the sink was overflowing with dishes.

It was always that way, when Archie wasn't there.

His phone rang a happy tune, and Jughead scrambled out of his nook for it, running up to his desk to take the call. Archie's face popped up on the screen, his somber expression turning into a guilty smile as he laid eyes on his boyfriend.

"If you are not calling with good news, I do not want to hear anything you have to say," Jughead spit out as he held the phone with two hands, shaking despite himself.

Archie looked down, shoulders slumped, giving him his answer.

"I told you not to go to that party," Jughead huffed, and even though he wanted to be mad, the whine in his voice gave away all of his worry and disappointment.

"I feel fine. The two weeks are almost up, and I don't have symptoms. The test will be back tomorrow, okay? And it'll be negative, and I can come home," Archie reassured him. "Just because she tested positive doesn't mean I will. I wasn't even with her."

Jughead didn't bother to hide it anymore as he sulked back to the window and pouted at his screen. "I want you to be okay, and I miss you."

"I miss you too," Archie sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"You should come home anyway, even if you test positive. We can be sick together. It will be fun," Jughead suggested, perking up a little at the thought. "We can take care of each other."

"I'm not giving you COVID, Juggy."

"But I cannot do two more weeks being apart," he whined again, tilting his head back in frustration. "And New Years Eve is tomorrow, we are always together on New Years Eve."