Chapter 16

Grizz and his brothers returned from grocery shopping. They had set their haul on the kitchen table and took a moment to relax from the journey there and back. Grizz walked off to find Nom Nom, looking in the living room. Scanning the area, the koala was no where to be found.

"Hey, uh, Grizz. We could use your help putting these things away", Panda called to the grizzly.

"Oh. Coming!", Grizz took one more look back and returned to the kitchen, aiding Ice Bear and Panda in putting away all the groceries they amassed. It was more than usual as there was a sale going on that both Ice Bear and Grizz were more than eager to take advantage of. The cabinets were pushed shut and all three bears hoped that it would hold and all matter of food items would spring out the moment the doors were opened once again.

"Heh, you think it'll hold?", Grizz chuckled nervously.

"Ice Bear hopes.." the polar bear said with ever so slightest grim tone to his voice. All three bears thought it best to leave the kitchen and allow the cabinets to 'settle' with it's new inventory.

Ice Bear and Panda plopped on the living room couch, more than happy to just sit back and watch TV. Grizz was a bit worried as Nom Nom wasn't there.

Where could he be?, Grizz thought to himself. He took a moment to think about it when it struck him that he told Nom Nom about that anime site. It made sense to him and put his mind at ease. He's in there, alright.

Grizz let his brothers relax on the couch as made his way back to the bedrooms. He found his bedroom door slightly open but heard nothing going on inside. Grizz pushed the door open and his breath caught in his throat.

Grizz's scream echoed throughout the whole cave, prompting his brothers to rush to the scene. They took a look for themselves and had reactions of their own. On Grizz's bed lay Nom Nom in a position that did not look good. Grizz rushed over to the koala and gently placed his paw on him.

"Nom Nom! Nom Nom? Are you alright, buddy?", Grizz uttered with a panic in his voice. The koala gave no response.

"Is he--?", Panda dared to ask.

Ice Bear pushed past Panda and stood alongside Grizz. "Stand back." Grizz did as his brother said and gave him some room. Ice Bear leaned down and placed an ear on the koala's chest. His ear's strained as he desperately listened from something. A small thump sounded and Ice Bear breathed a sigh of relief.

"He is alive", Ice Bear confirmed.

"Oh, thank goodness. But what happened?", Grizz asked.

"Ask when he wakes up", Ice Bear suggested. The other bears agreed. Grizz gently lifted Nom Nom and placed him comfortably in the bed.

Though they were worried, Ice Bear and Panda returned to the living room. Grizz stayed in the room and watched over the koala.

Some times passed but Grizz remained, watching over Nom Nom. A small groan was heard, Grizz looked over at the koala who began to stir.

"G-Grizz?", Nom Nom asked shakily.

"Hey, I'm glad you're okay", Grizz responded gently.

"What happened?", Nom Nom asked, looking around him and noticing that he laying in the bed.

"I'm not sure. We found you....lying face down on the bed. It didn't look good...", Grizz admitted.

"I think I know what happened. My doctor warmed me about keeping my stress under control....", Nom Nom grunted, the feeling finally catching up to him.

"Your doctor? What do you mean?", Grizz leaned in to listen. His heart began to pound and a pit of worry gnawed at his stomach.

Nom Nom took a deep breath and clutched the sheets before continuing. "I....My job demands a lot out of me at all times. It used to be...easy. Just smile and smile some more. Just when I got even more famous it became much more than that. There were filmshoots, interviews and paparazzi. I never knew that you would have to fake a smile so often. Fake being happy so often. I remember one day I passed out after a live interview on the ride back home. My doctor told me that my career was starting to take a toll on my health. That I was under too much stress and too much more would...will kill me, Grizz"

Grizz's body instantly went numb when he heard that. He almost died?, it was the only thought that cycled through Grizz's mind. He pushed it away and faced the koala.

"Nom....I'm just glad you're okay..", Grizz said gently.

Nom Nom nodded but looked away. He remembered the reason he passed out, but he couldn't being himself to Grizz. He knew that the grizzly would blame himself. After all, he didn't blame Grizz for being a fan. Things were different now. Grizz saw him as someone more than just a celebrity now.

Nom Nom sighed to himself. That title. Celebrity. It was something that now felt like something he was stuck with rather than something he wanted now.

"Grizz... I think this is it for me", Nom Nom said grimly.

"No, no. Don't talk like that...", Grizz choked tears welling up on his eyes.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean like that. I mean..... I can't do this anymore. I can't be Nom Nom anymore", The koala admitted. "It doesn't make me happy. It never did..." He reached forward, grunting with effort and wiped Grizz's tears away.

"But what will you do?", Grizz questioned.

"I'm gonna retire", Nom Nom said plainly.

"What about your mansion? And all the stuff in it?", Grizz continued. He still couldn't believe everything he was hearing.

"I'll leave it all behind. They don't mean anything to me now...", Nom Nom answered. Grizz let out a small grunt.

"Grizz? Are you alright?", Nom Nom asked.

"No. I'm not. You're gonna give up everything? You're a big time celebrity! And you're gonna give everything up...for me? Some bear...? You're gonna give it all up and I can't even help you...", Grizz sniffled, tears running down his muzzle.

Nom Nom was stunned. "Grizz...", he leaned forward and held Grizz's face.

"Grizz. I want to give it all up because I want to be with you. You're more valuable to me than anything back home. You're so nice and caring. Not only that but I'm not just Nom Nom the celebrity when I'm with you. I..I feel like an actual person. You're an amazing bear Grizz and I'm upset that I can't do anything for you in return", Nom Nom admitted in a shaking breathy voice.

"The thing you can do for me is get better", Grizz sniffled and smiled gently. Nom Nom smiled as well and leaned close to the bear.

"I think it's for the best. I saw a news report this morning. My fans...if you can even call them that anymore. They've turned on me. They're hunting for me and some of them want me dead....", Nom Nom could hear Grizz gasp at those words. "It was a good run while it lasted. But I think I'm done."

"We'll figure it out", Grizz reassured. "Don't worry, Nom. I won't let anything happen to you."

Nom Nom nodded and laid back on the pillows and gave a yawn. Grizz watched as the small mammal slowly drifted back to sleep. Grizz sat close and kept watch over him until he found himself falling asleep as well.