People Change

The following morning started as normally as it could. Dad woke me up, we worked out, the usual stuff.  But after that, I slept. I was way too tired to wake up, and school starts in less than 2 hours. Half an hour later I woke up by a call. I picked it up and kept it under my ears.

"Wake up idiot, you don't want to be late for school!"The voice made me jump off of my bed. The caller was Pratyusha. I grabbed the phone to talk to her.

"Hello, are you there?" She continued to talk.

"yeah yeah you woke me", I said. I realized that I've never felt this active right after waking up from sleep. "Good, school starts if one and a half hours, hurry up and get ready" she commanded. I've never been more confused in the 16 years of my life (probably except finding out that my mom's name wasn't 'mom'). I didn't get y she was making me hurry so much, but I got ready as fast as I could, and rushed over to school. As I made my way through the corridors, I saw Pratyusha. Apparently we both were late from sleeping too late. We talked as we walked into class. She then went to her seat, and I went to mine. 

Now the thing with Indian classmates is that they don't ask "do you like her?" No, instead, they start howling like as if they are excited for our wedding. That's annoying, if you have never experienced it. The sounds range from "ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh" to "aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhaaaaaaaa" based on how close the two stand, or how jealous the crowd is.

I ignored these sounds as I made my way to my seat. I could have been late for class, if it wasn't for Pratyusha. At lunch, she came over to my seat . "Thanks", I said. She laughed. "You owe more than just a thanks. Don't forget, the first class was princi' today", she said, and winked as she walked back to her seat. My mind now gave me two options: either sit here and regret for the rest of your lonely life that you should have taken the leap, or risk the chances of socialising and go talk to her. Obviously, mind chose first option, heart chose the second, and I chose the heart.

I made my move and walked up to her. My feet were trembling even as I was walking, and I tried my best to hide it. When I reached, she was talking to some guy. Obviously he was hitting on her, and she did absolutely nothing but enjoyed it. 

" You see, I'm like Ambani, I don't see the price-"

"Yeah and I'm like Chris Hemsworth" I interrupted him.

As expected, I pissed him off , and I was mentally prepared for any comeback of his. But then he said something I never could have been mentally prepared for. "Okay, if you are so tough, take off your jacket and TRY to show off, that is, if u have anything to"

There was pin drop silence. No class ever had this silence during lunch hour. Then the audience who didn't even exist a minute ago, pressurised me to take off my jacket. Any other situation, I would have walked away. But then this guy had to make his play on Pratyusha. I gave him a grin, and took off my jacket. The gasp sound from the audience, and the douche's expression made my day. 

"Your turn. Take out your wallet and TRY to show off, that is, if u can" I said, trying my very best to hide my grin. The guy just walked away. I was too proud of myself to notice Pratyush giving me a death stare. As soon as I saw it, the joy drained away.

"Was it necessary to create such a scene", she asked me. "He started it", I stated the fact. Ah well didn't like the fact that I stated that fact. She turned away angrily. I didn't know what else to do so  so I just gave a huge sigh and sat next to her in silence. We sat like that for five minutes or so? Then finally she said "Oh my god you are so dumb. This is the part where you are supposed to make me talk to u!". 'Was is that supposed to be that obvious tho?' I thought to myself.

" I'm so so so so so sorry for that. I just couldn't stand and watch as someone tries hitting on u. Plz forgive me and I will do as you say", I said, having instantly regretted saying the last line.

"Anything?" Her tone was a warning that I won't be happy with what she asks. But then couldn't keep quiet now either. So I just told yes. Her reply proved my instincts right

"Today, at twelve, milkshake. I want Oreo milkshake, and make sure u ask them to add extra Oreos. They charge ₹10 extra, but it's amazing. And get a large one. Thank you!" She told the whole thing in a single stretch

No matter how annoying the fact of buying her milkshake was, her "thank you" was cute enough  to convince me to buy her 10 more of them. The whole day, I could think of nothing else, but her one "thank you" and to bring her her extra Oreo Oreo milkshake. The only type of conversation in my mind was this: "She's sooo cuteee" "Bitch stfu and pay attention to the classes" "But... Pratyusha..." "But your studies..."

Once classes were done, left as soon as possible. I bought the extra Oreo Oreo shake and rushed home to keep it in my fridge. I set a reminder for 12 to go meet her. After that I don't remember doing anything else but looking at the clock. Exactly at 11:45 I got a call. No need to mention who, you probably know the answer already. I picked up Pratyusha's call.

"U got the shake?"

 "Yes!"

 "Great. Meet me at 12!"

 "Bye."

"Wait!"

"What?"

"Thank you!" She said and cut the call. I stood there like a statue for 10 minutes thinking about what happened. Even small stuff like these makes my heart go butterflies. When I finally realised I had 5 minutes left, I rushed to the fridge to grab the milkshake, took my earphones, hoody, and made my way to my terrace. When I reach there I find myself standing there alone. So I took a seat and called texted her "where are you". Instantly I get a reply. "Right behind you". I turn around to see her holding two straws.

"What's that for", I asked her about the two straws. "For us to share", she said. For a moment I considered the idea of pinching myself to wake up from this dream. Then she says, "Lol, just kidding. I drink from two straws to be able to drink more at a time. One is too less, three is too much, so I use two." The sense of disappointment I felt was beyond something expressable. But I managed a fake laugh. "Why didn't I stab myself yet" I asked myself.

I handed her the milkshake, and she handed me a straw. I was confused. "What am I to do with this" I asked. "What you are supposed to do with it, idiot. Drink with it" she said, as though she was trying to explain a one year old to not swallow the paste while brushing his teeth. I reluctantly took the straw. I waited for her to finish having her but or the milkshake so I could have my bit. She started to stare at me as though I denied her something.

"What?" I asked. "You are such a kid Nish" she said and rolled her eyes. My confusion levels were beyond the sky now. She took my hand, and made me put my straw in the glass of milkshake. "Now, we drink", she said and went to take a sip. But I was still hesitant. "I can't  wait all day you know, it's milkshake and you know I love milkshakes, I'll drink it alone cause I don't wait"' she said, urging me to drink with her. "I know that and that is exactly why you should have the whole of it", I said, idiotically losing my once in a lifetime opportunity to have a romantic drink with her. She gave me a confused look, but then that look cleared. She said, "You know what? I am willing to make an exception in your case", she said and kept the milkshake aside to stargaze with me.

In this entire scenario the only thing I did was trying hard not to fain from all the confusion she was giving me. I laid my back on the rooftop while watching the stars, and she laid her head on my arm. It was a little awkward in the beginning, but then I saw her face. "This is like something you wanted, only better", a voice in my head told me. "She, next to you. Isn't that what you always wished?" It asked me. "Yes", I said, louder than I was supposed to. She asked "What?" I just nodded my head and said "Nothing". This day couldn't have gotten better.