𝓕𝓵𝓸𝔂𝓭 𝓛𝓮𝓮𝓬𝓱 ~ 𝓓𝓮𝓮𝓹, 𝓭𝓮𝓮𝓹, 𝓭𝓮𝓮𝓹

You are kneeling down at the edge of a ferry boat, trying to get from one island to the next. These boats are built very small with open floors and railings that are hardly high at all, as they are meant to quickly take passengers from one place to the next around the peaceful and beautiful islands, running smoothly along ocean water paths that are usually short and quick to cross.

The water on this day looks particularly beautiful as the sun sparkles off the teal shades of the wave-less sea, and you, who normally feels so safe on these familiar ferries, decide to ignore the safety precautions yet again. You lean yourself forward... farther and farther, even more forward as more pressure shifts onto your knees.

It isn't dangerous. Nothing bad has ever happened before.

Oh, the breeze is so nice! Do you feel it as the wind runs past your face? The warm, gentle breeze of the calm and tranquil sea? Do you feel it? Does it make you happy?

The smile on your face says, "Yes, yes! Yes, it does!" And you lean forward still, your feet lifting off the ground behind you as you stare up, up at that clear blue sky.

A sprinkle of water jumps from the sea below and lands lightly on your cheek. You shift your gaze down to the water, the smile still spread over your lips. You can't see it, but the little drop of water glistens so beautifully against your skin. If only someone could see it...

But what you do see is still so beautiful--it's breathtaking! That serene scenery. It does take your breath away; you hold the air in your throat as you stare at every shimmery shade of blue becoming green in the glittery gradient of the sea.

You now release the air inside you because the sea isn't ready to take it all just yet.

You use your breath you've regained to inhale, exhale, over and over. Deeply, deeply, again and again. That aroma of the sea is too irresistible to ever stop indulging. The most refreshing fragrance, isn't it? And the fracturing rainbows that gleam up brightly every now and then as the sun glints off a perfect ripple of the ocean.

Everything is so wonderful! You push yourself further toward the edge. Further, further. It seems you cannot possibly be close enough to fully take in every aspect of the brilliant scene. You gasp at the beauty, smiling widely, leaning further.

Leaning too far.

Whoever could have seen this coming?

Your smile vanishes. A panic surges. Fear. Fight or flight, but there is nothing to fight, no way to take flight.

And you fall down, down, down.

The drop is like death itself. Knowing what is happening, wanting to stop what is happening, knowing you cannot stop what is happening--and, at the same time, too quick to even process what is happening.

And your body hits the water, hits the sea, lost of all tranquility.
From all around your body, up goes the water. Up goes the sea as you fall deeper under.

And down come the waves, taking you further, deeper, deeper.

You thrash about in the water, unable to see any light, any hope. Your mouth is open wide, and it quickly fills with salty shades of blue and green. That glittery gradient of the sea. Now, it is inside you. In your panic, you are unable to think, and you still try to breathe. You inhale sharply through your nose, but instead of air, there is water. It stings your nerves, your brain, your eyes. Everything, all around. Water, water. Your lungs are unable to breathe.

The ocean really is breathtaking now.

You flail your arm in front of you, to your sides, and to behind. It is no use. You sink. Deeper, deeper. Your body does not float to the surface. The light begins to fade. The ship is no longer visible. You sink into the deep, deep, deep.